PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
This will change when I retire, but right now I only smoke on the weekends and apparently too much. I'm finding my quality of enjoyment decreases with additional bowl. I might be doing something wrong that my more experienced fellow members may know, but for me right now, one or maybe two bowls would probably keep the quality constant.

Part of the problem is getting another pipe which I want to try out. So, I am not getting more in the short term. I've actually settled on three that I prefer anyway.

Anyone have a similar experience?

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
You just gotta go with your own flow. If you are getting the most enjoyment out of a couple bowls a week, than thats what you should do. I don't have the time in my life right now, but I could see myself sitting on my porch smoking all damn day, lol. I don't think I'd ever allow myself to do such a thing, but I could. Right now I average 1 bowl a day and sometimes that bowl doesn't even get finished. Having a full-time job, a wife, 4 year old, 2 year old, and an old home to maintain will cut into your pipe time ?

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
You just gotta go with your own flow. If you are getting the most enjoyment out of a couple bowls a week, than thats what you should do. I don't have the time in my life right now, but I could see myself sitting on my porch smoking all damn day, lol. I don't think I'd ever allow myself to do such a thing, but I could. Right now I average 1 bowl a day and sometimes that bowl doesn't even get finished. Having a full-time job, a wife, 4 year old, 2 year old, and an old home to maintain will cut into your pipe time ?
Yes, I am like you sans the children. Also, this is new and I tend to go hog wild intially and slack off dramatically over time.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I smoke five to six bowls per day and do not experience a quality reduction. Not even sure exactly what you mean by that.
Think of eating five or six bowls of ice cream per day or something else you like. Does the last experience equal the first? Not trying to convince of something that's not your experience, just expressing mine.

C

carolinasmokes

I am retired but still work a full time job to stay active and healthy. I'm an evening/weekend pipe smoker, I smoke outdoors only, as I do not smoke in my car or house. I average two or three bowls an evening during the week and more on weekends. My smokes are usually an hour or two apart, never back to back. I do not enjoy smokes to close together, the pause between pipes I find much more enjoyable than an overworked palate.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
The only consistent thing about pipe smoking is that it is different for everyone :) It's all about your preference. If you've 'had enough', put the thing down.

That said, if you 'want' to smoke additional pipes but find your system is worn out, it might be worth examining a change ...smoking a fresh pipe, changing up blends, examining your cadence, etc. You mentioned an extra pipe -do you have some cobs?

For me, I get worn out if I am smoking too hot/fast all day. If I sip my pipe slowly, I can smoke all day without getting worn out at all.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I am retired but still work a full time job to stay active and healthy. I'm an evening/weekend pipe smoker, I smoke outdoors only, as I do not smoke in my car or house. I average two or three bowls an evening during the week and more on weekends. My smokes are usually an hour or two apart, never back to back. I do not enjoy smokes to close together, the pause between pipes I find much more enjoyable than an overworked palate.
Thank you. I like your strategy. ??

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The only consistent thing about pipe smoking is that it is different for everyone :) It's all about your preference. If you've 'had enough', put the thing down.

That said, if you 'want' to smoke additional pipes but find your system is worn out, it might be worth examining a change ...smoking a fresh pipe, changing up blends, examining your cadence, etc. You mentioned an extra pipe -do you have some cobs?

For me, I get worn out if I am smoking too hot/fast all day. If I sip my pipe slowly, I can smoke all day without getting worn out at all.
I do sip, but non stop yesterday trying out each pipe while I was smoking a Chuck roast for today.

Yes, I have a wonderful 1970’s MM Free Hand and a Carolina Gent plus a newer freehand.

Instead of smoking I did a bike ride to map out a route to the grocery. I might do an evening bowl to cap off the weekend.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm in a similar situation but different outcome: I have 2 kids aged 5 and 3 and they recently started school again, I work remotely for the last 1.5 years so I can smoke a lot every day. 5-6 bowls for sure. I recall that when I smoked simply twice a day (morning and evening) both bowls seemed to taste better than chain smoking.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I noticed the diminishing pleasure first with cigars. Also with pipes. My analogy was eating chocolate all day long - just like the ice cream. I understand others can be different.
I’m sure my problem is that it’s new. And, I’m a nut about old things so smoking old pipes just fits me like a tee.

Like everything else, I’ll moderate quickly over time.

This is a great forum and I hope to continue to participate and check in frequently.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I’m sure my problem is that it’s new. And, I’m a nut about old things so smoking old pipes just fits me like a tee.

Like everything else, I’ll moderate quickly over time.

This is a great forum and I hope to continue to participate and check in frequently.
I also find I look forward to it more the less frequently I smoke. I try to only smoke one bowl every other day so on the days when it’s time to smoke I get really excited looking forward to it. (I know I have a boring life!)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Think of eating five or six bowls of ice cream per day or something else you like. Does the last experience equal the first? Not trying to convince of something that's not your experience, just expressing mine.
I'm not sure anything matches the initial smoke of the day with coffee. Palate is fresh, coffee is perfect match and the body is eager for some nicotine. With that said, I don't experience any significant decrease in the quality of enjoyment of subsequent smokes. I believe I understand what you're saying and perhaps your experience is different l

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I'm not sure anything matches the initial smoke of the day with coffee. Palate is fresh, coffee is perfect match and the body is eager for some nicotine. With that said, I don't experience any significant decrease in the quality of enjoyment of subsequent smokes. I believe I understand what you're saying and perhaps your experience is different l
I’m sort of the same with coffee, so I get your point. Fresh mouth, fresh pipe equals something positive.

Reactions: RonB