PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Watched Rambo from 2008 for the first time.

It's the 4th film in the franchise and the only one I hadn't seen. It was ok but for me the first movie is the standout. That was gritty and much less ott than the others in the series.

I feel the same way about Rocky. The first movie was an absolute classic with a brilliant story, dialogue, cast and of course the epic soundtrack. The ones that came after were not in the same league.

Rambo gets a solid 3/5

Trailer:

Jun 9, 2018
England
John Gotti's old underboss Sammy "the bull" Gravano now has his own YouTube channel (I know right??) and I've been going through the various stories he tells from his time in the Gambinos.
It's a good watch if you like hearing about the history of the mafia, particularly stories from the 70's and 80's.

One thing I did notice is Sammy sits in a chair next to a fireplace, on the mantle above there are various things placed on it and one of them is an old tin of Prince Albert. As far as I'm aware he does/did smoke cigarettes and cigars but not pipes.
Anyway, who knows? Just made me laugh when I saw it.

You can see the tin at the 1 minute 22 second mark.

Reactions: smknron

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
HORACE and PETE (2016) mini-series, 10 episodes.
Cast: Louis C.K., Steve Buscemi, Alan Alda, Edie Falco, Jessica Lange,
1621290015025.png

Louis C.K.'s web series about two brothers, introverted Horace and mentally ill Pete, the current owners of their family's Irish bar "Horace and Pete's", and their dysfunctional family and friends.

I'm watching it on HULU and I've only seen the first two episodes. I'm enjoying it so far.
4/5

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Just watched “Framing John Delorean” on Netflix.......
I found it fascinating. I was a freshman in high school when the Delorean cars hit the market. I remember the controversies at the time but didn’t really pay much attention to it all. I’d give this one 5/5 if you like cars, money, power, and American history.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I found it fascinating. I was a freshman in high school when the Delorean cars hit the market. I remember the controversies at the time but didn’t really pay much attention to it all. I’d give this one 5/5 if you like cars, money, power, and American history.
In the early '80s I was working in a detail shop and some guy used to bring his Delorean in on occasion. We would wipe down the entire exterior with steel wool.

I looked it up online after seeing your comment...hadn't thought of Delorean in many years...and I was surprised to see they are supposedly going to be manufacturing them again.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I saw that and really enjoyed it as well. The guy was a total maverick.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched Halston on Netflix.

It's about the famous designer of the 60's & 70's. Gotta admit that I'd never heard of him but it was a bit before my time and I'm not exactly a dedicated follower of fashion.

Ewan McGregor plays Halston and Krysta Rodriguez is brilliant as Liza Minnelli. Even if you're not into fashion it's still an interesting story of one man's rise and fall.
I really liked it and give it a solid 4/5

Trailer:

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL

It's about the famous designer of the 60's & 70's. Gotta admit that I'd never heard of him but it was a bit before my time and I'm not exactly a dedicated follower of fashion.

Ewan McGregor plays Halston and Krysta Rodriguez is brilliant as Liza Minnelli. Even if you're not into fashion it's still an interesting story of one man's rise and fall.

Trailer:
Just got done with it as well, and agree - Ewan McGregor nailed the role of Halston, and Krysta Rodriguez did a great job as Liza Minella...I watched both her version and then one of Liza's versions of "Liza with a Z" a little earlier today on YouTube. After watching Halston and having recently also seen the 3 part Hemingway bio series, I've decided the mini-series is a much preferable format for me, rather than a 2 hour biopic movie. I thought the Freddie Mercury movie and Elton John movie were both fine, but that's it, just fine - would have preferred a lengthier format like this.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just got done with it as well, and agree - Ewan McGregor nailed the role of Halston, and Krysta Rodriguez did a great job as Liza Minella...I watched both her version and then one of Liza's versions of "Liza with a Z" a little earlier today on YouTube. After watching Halston and having recently also seen the 3 part Hemingway bio series, I've decided the mini-series is a much preferable format for me, rather than a 2 hour biopic movie. I thought the Freddie Mercury movie and Elton John movie were both fine, but that's it, just fine - would have preferred a lengthier format like this.
Totally agree, I definitely prefer a mini-series when it comes to this sort of thing. Danny Boyle is currently filming a mini-series about one of my favourite bands the Sex Pistols and i'm really looking forward to that.

Trailer:
We watched that one as well. +1 on the genius of MacGregor.

Status
Not open for further replies.