PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
My good friend of many years has been losing his hair at a considerable rate recently. It seems to effecting many aspects of his self esteem and he has been acting very angry towards many people including myself. Maybe it doesn't help that I have a full head of hair, I have been trying to wear more caps around him to maybe make him think about the difference in hair less. I hate to lie but have been encouraging, often telling him that losing his hair is no big deal and it looks great. I also have been trying to get him into pipes as I feel like they are a good distraction. Do members have any suggestions? I would really like not to lose this good friend of mine over him losing his hair of all things.

I've got a natural monks tonsure going on, slowly evolving into a Kojak. But, I keep telling my wife that I won't shave it. I'm not giving up that easy, ha ha.

It doesn't seem to be falling out as much as migrate South to my shoulders and back, ha ha.

I spent my whole life with a head full of curly red hair, punching and kicking my way through adolescence to teendom for being called a carrot top. Then in my 40's, women seemed drawn to it like zombies for fresh brains. Then just as I start to dig it, and see the value in red hair, it turns white and moves South. Life sucks that way, ha ha.

I've seen friends fight it with plugs, sprays, etc... but it just seems to speed up the loss in the long run or look more ridiculous than just being natural. Also, I notice that my hair changes directions as the bald spot grows larger, making it look like a natural comb over when my hair gets longer. I've never tried to comb it over, but it pisses me off at all of the teen girls who snicker at old men with a combover look. But, I can rest assured that girls who make fun of old men will one day have tits sagging to their knees. Damn kids!

But, rest assured that baldness comes from an abundance of testosterone. Last Urology visit the doc told me that I was blessed. So many men with a head full of hair at my age can't get a hard on for shit, and have to take hormone shots just to keep from losing all interest in sex, shrinking balls, lose of muscle mass, drive of any sort, and a whole host of other problems.

Also, I find that women in my age range have a fondness for balding men, and it triggers a daddy complex in so many younger women. Who knew. Embrace the hair loss. Wear it like a badge of honor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Guys are supposed to be tough and bluff, and we all know that's only partly true. About the only concessions to the trauma of male baldness are all the remedies and hair transplant schemes that prosper at the expense of male hair loss. The idea that this assault on self-image is an emotional drain that needs attention is pretty remote in the world. puff_not_snuff is doing his best to be supportive of his friend, to little avail. A clinical psychologist might be of help, if the friend would do that. Even men who do not go completely bald often get some recession at the hair line and/or some thinning in the back. As with hair growth, some guys look fine, even hip and a little fierce, with less or no hair, and others don't, and this depends in part on attitude. Women lose hair too, though they are sometimes more at home simply doffing a wig and enjoying the power to change hair color and style in seconds, which is a tribute to their adaptability and intelligence. But I certainly value the hair I have and would struggle with any substantial loss.

Skatutakee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2021
Massachusetts / New Hampshire
I started losing my hair in my teens. I thought it was funny in college to puncutate my frustration with something by pulling my hair out -- it came out painlessly enough.

I understand a lot of guys find it emasculating, but completely endorse what Cosmic says above. If your friend can embrace the full shave, he might find that it really works out for him. A tight buzz is also a great way to work with hair loss. One way or another, balding men who find a way to lean into it express self-confidence and that will translate into how people perceive you. Fighting it, in my opinion, is a losing game . . . you'll always be unhappy with how you look, always looking for a way to fix yourself, and that translates, too. The not-nice way to put this is to be a man and play the hand you're dealt. Nice or not-nice, though, it's really up to your friend and there's only so much you can do.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Oh give me a break. I started loosing hair in my early 20s. Deal with it is my only advice.

Cancer, extreme squatter style poverty, loss of loved ones, these are reasons to possibly cry over. Yeh, it sucks, but in the long run, it only sucks because one has bought into some shallow mundane elements of style that are ridiculous to begin with in the first place.

Really, I don't have any sympathy for anyone who is upset about loosing hair. Yes, if a remedy came by that worked, I would of course get the vaccine, so to say. But until then, It's just life.

Yours,

Heartless

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ditka regrew his hair just by thinking about it

hi-res-5728b920100e2990e6e95bde53c0ed81_crop_north.jpg

Jan 27, 2020
I've got a natural monks tonsure going on, slowly evolving into a Kojak. But, I keep telling my wife that I won't shave it. I'm not giving up that easy, ha ha.

It doesn't seem to be falling out as much as migrate South to my shoulders and back, ha ha.

I spent my whole life with a head full of curly red hair, punching and kicking my way through adolescence to teendom for being called a carrot top. Then in my 40's, women seemed drawn to it like zombies for fresh brains. Then just as I start to dig it, and see the value in red hair, it turns white and moves South. Life sucks that way, ha ha.

I've seen friends fight it with plugs, sprays, etc... but it just seems to speed up the loss in the long run or look more ridiculous than just being natural. Also, I notice that my hair changes directions as the bald spot grows larger, making it look like a natural comb over when my hair gets longer. I've never tried to comb it over, but it pisses me off at all of the teen girls who snicker at old men with a combover look. But, I can rest assured that girls who make fun of old men will one day have tits sagging to their knees. Damn kids!

But, rest assured that baldness comes from an abundance of testosterone. Last Urology visit the doc told me that I was blessed. So many men with a head full of hair at my age can't get a hard on for shit, and have to take hormone shots just to keep from losing all interest in sex, shrinking balls, lose of muscle mass, drive of any sort, and a whole host of other problems.

Also, I find that women in my age range have a fondness for balding men, and it triggers a daddy complex in so many younger women. Who knew. Embrace the hair loss. Wear it like a badge of honor.

Unfortunately a couple mutual female friends confided in me that they don't think he has any sex appeal now despite confiding the opposite in me a few years ago.

Unfortunately a couple mutual female friends confided in me that they don't think he has any sex appeal now despite confiding the opposite in me a few years ago.
We can't all be as beautiful as me. It's a damn cruel world. If I could bestow some of my sex appeal on the rest of ya, I would gladly share. Ha ha.

and +1 for beards. The early 80's my hair was down below my belt, curly and unmanageable. Now, I just grow my beard out longer when I want a freak flag to wave, ha ha.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I don't only want him to not feel bad about himself I want him to believe in himself.
Your thoughts are admirable, but self-esteem comes first from self-efficacy and that is not something that is yours to give. Being a friend is about as best as one can do, but in the end, your friend must reassess his values. Does he measure his self-worth by the size of his stock portfolio or does he measure it by the type of man he is, not only to himself, but others.

Here is an example of what I mean:

Status
Not open for further replies.