PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I still smoke cigarettes, but I'm working very hard on replacing those filter tipped demons with pipes. A two pack a day habit takes some stepping down. I'll smoke a cigar someone gives me, but they're too freaking expensive to enjoy regularly for me right now. And of course, a little from the glass pipe for PTSD.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I still smoke cigarettes, but I'm working very hard on replacing those filter tipped demons with pipes. A two pack a day habit takes some stepping down. I'll smoke a cigar someone gives me, but they're too freaking expensive to enjoy regularly for me right now. And of course, a little from the glass pipe for PTSD.
Best decision you can make. Lots of ex 2x a pack guys here. I was hard on the Copenhagen train, that one was a bitch to quit as well.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Best decision you can make. Lots of ex 2x a pack guys here. I was hard on the Copenhagen train, that one was a bitch to quit as well.
The worst I found isn't the nicotine. Between the cobs in my car and the cans of McChrystal nasal snuff in my pocket, I'm covered there. It's all the extra [fill in your own 4 letter word] they put in cigarettes. So while I'm dosing myself with nicotine 6 ways from Sunday, I'm still dealing with fits. Like trying to cut caffeine by switching from colas to coffee. Takes care of the caffeine, but does nothing for sugars, riboflavin, and yellow dye #5.

Reactions: chopper

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Besides my pipe of 1-2 bowls a day, I enjoy cigars. I was on a binge last summer and had 2 every week. Seems low compared to some but I can't find the time to sit for more than one hour to smoke one and went through a variety of cigar types. Narrowed it down to AF Hemingway Short Stories, OLIVA G Series and I really enjoyed Caldwell Blind Man's Bluff Connecticut. Those are my go-tos now.

I will smoke a cigarette if it is offered to me, but I won't ever buy a pack on my own. Been there and done that. Never want to pick that habit up again.

Last but not least, I enjoy CBD Hemp flower/vape. I don't much like getting silly with the regular THC leaf, so CBD flower is great and gives me all the benefits without feeling paranoid or out of my mind.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yes Briarbuck, there's "lots of ex-2x pack guys here". I'm one of them.

RookieGuy, tailor-made cigs contain hundreds of added chemicals, some of which are as addictive as the nicotine itself [Some say they're even more addictive than the nicotine]

It's why a RYO cig will not satisfy tailor-made smokers.

To successfully get off the cigs, one needs to ditch them completely and stick to the chemical free stuff - pipe tobacco, cigars, 'chew' [or whatever it's called]
There's a 4-5 day withdrawal/adjustment period but from there it's plain sailing. It was for me at least and I was a 35+ year veteran.

Repeated quit attempts were torture for me but switching to a pipe worked because at least I got to have a puff of something. [Shit, I woulda smoked grass clippings if I got desperate :eek: ]

Once I'd adjusted to the pipe after a week, in over 11 years since I've not once craved for a cigarette.
Once I found online tobacconists [range of blends here is very slim] I intentionally chose/choose blends with low to no more than mild nicotine.

Now I smoke way less and no longer crave for a smoke.
No longer do I smoke in bed, on the dunny and rarely while driving.

My only regret is that I didn't stick with the pipe when I picked them up briefly as a 15yo.

Believe me, ditching the ciggies is not that hard when switching to healthier alternatives.
Good luck.

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I have been back and forth between cigars and pipes for 40+ years, and lately have found the pipe more satisfying.I smoke 2-4 bowls a day of pipe tobacco and haven't smoked a cigar in over a year (although my son has one he wants me to try and I will this coming Memorial weekend). Prior to retirement cigars were easier and I smoked one or two a day for years. Now that I have more time I find the flavors of pipe tobacco more subtle and appealing. Cigarettes? Gave them up over 40 years ago, and although I have one occasionally I have no desire to some another.

H

Hfinn

the ministry of health warns you, smoking is harmful to your health!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The worst I found isn't the nicotine. Between the cobs in my car and the cans of McChrystal nasal snuff in my pocket, I'm covered there. It's all the extra [fill in your own 4 letter word] they put in cigarettes. So while I'm dosing myself with nicotine 6 ways from Sunday, I'm still dealing with fits. Like trying to cut caffeine by switching from colas to coffee. Takes care of the caffeine, but does nothing for sugars, riboflavin, and yellow dye #5.
lots of those chems get the nic in your system really fast. That actually makes a difference. Even snuff which is pretty quick has nothing on nicotine that has many chemicals basically injected into the blood stream through the lungs. It takes time for the body to get used to a slower stream of nicotine but it happens.

Reactions: RookieGuy

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
lots of those chems get the nic in your system really fast. That actually makes a difference. Even snuff which is pretty quick has nothing on nicotine that has many chemicals basically injected into the blood stream through the lungs. It takes time for the body to get used to a slower stream of nicotine but it happens.
You know, that makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: anotherbob

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Toscano cigars a couple of times a month. Had a phase earlier in the year where I smoked RYO cigarettes like I used to but they made me unable to taste pipe tobacco (or anything else really) so I kicked them again. Very addictive though, instant nicotine hit.

The weird thing, and recall @BROBS concurred, was that the first handful of cigarettes actually tasted very good, but quickly tasted of nothing at all.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You know, that makes a lot of sense.
and personally what I found worked for me to stop cigs was snus. Honestly it wasn't even my intention. I just wanted something so I wouldn't have to crave nicotine while at work (kind of job you get breaks when you do, nothing guaranteed) and when I popped my first los snus in I immediately thought why would I ever want a cigarette again?

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Smoked cigarettes for 25 years and quit seven months ago. I'll smoke a cigar every once in a while. I bought a bunch off smokingpipes.com a while back but only smoked 2 or 3. For now I'll stick to my 1-3 bowls a day and some grass after work.