PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
A quick, non permanent, cheap and easy fix that needs to be replaced every once in a while but still works very effectively is Teflon tape. I use this on a few pipes that have loosened up or that I have replaced the stem and it doesn’t quite fit tight enough. Just be sure to turn the stem in the same direction to put it on and also remove it. it can last quite a few smokes, much longer if you don’t remove your stem every smoke

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I have a Ropp cherry pipe for which the tenon is so loose it falls out. How best to fix this?
Hey big brother. I've got an easy idea how to tighten this thing up so it will only come out with lots of grunting and sweating. First, go get some of your wife's meatloaf.....

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
use the least evasive methods first (beeswax and smoke it!) then proceed with caution on all other methods!

Vermont Freehand makes a kit for REALLY loose stems where nothing else works. A very inexpensive way to totally screw up a pipe - unless you are SUPER careful. Proceed at your own risk here.

1620563461762.png

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
use the least evasive methods first (beeswax and smoke it!) then proceed with caution on all other methods!

Vermont Freehand makes a kit for REALLY loose stems where nothing else works. A very inexpensive way to totally screw up a pipe - unless you are SUPER careful. Proceed at your own risk here.

View attachment 79128
My pipes are mostly used and probably pretty old. So, old plastic is a concern. If I crack a stem, I’m screwed.

Reactions: BROBS

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
I didn't say to heat and push, I said it is one method. I would not do that and thus put the disclaimer at the end.

Are you talking about the shank and bowl connection? Now those are a different animal.

View attachment 78722

Thank you briarfiles for the picture.
Thanks but no, I mean the joint between the mouthpiece and the pipe shank (?)

Reactions: BROBS

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Bro, today I repaired a loose tenon with superglue. Worked like a charm. I covered the entire tenon with glue, then turned it a couple minutes like a fishing rod, to keep the glue layer even. After it set, I started in with 600 grit until it almost fit, then switched to micro mesh pads.

It was generic glue that I keep on my truck. I hear there's a black version.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Bro, today I repaired a loose tenon with superglue. Worked like a charm. I covered the entire tenon with glue, then turned it a couple minutes like a fishing rod, to keep the glue layer even. After it set, I started in with 600 grit until it almost fit, then switched to micro mesh pads.

It was generic glue that I keep on my truck. I hear there's a black version.
Well, I figure you’d want to be able to take it apart to clean....???

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
And now for something completely different :

A German pipe carver once told me he tightened the mortise by giving it one , or two water glass coatings.
How about that ?
When you moisten a clean mortise with demineralized water the fibre of the briar will expand a little.
Keep it wet, repeat a few times and it will work.
Briar shrinks over time; just put on the kettle, make yourself a nice cupper and hold the shank end over the steam, until the mortise expands a little. This could also work to tighten up the infamous tiny gap between the shank and the stem. Savvy ?
Careful though ; don't try to close the tiny gap this method when the tenon is tight already, it will expand.
Messing with tenons was never my forte, I prefer and alternate approach.
Trust me; I'm a doctor :)

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Thanks all! Well I had three pipes with loose tenon joints. I heated all 3 with a candle: 1 was perfect, 1 fair, 1 still loose. So I did the beeswax thing with the latter two, and both are great now! Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.