PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Thus far in my pipe smoking journey I strongly prefer the Oom Paul shape, and want to buy a system pipe. Anybody have a preference between the Peterson and Savinelli versions, or a reason you wouldn't use either?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a number of Petersons and Savinellis but no systems. I haven't had any problems with quality control, which some of the Pete owners have, though I don't know there is any connection. I've always thought the simpler drilling might be more trouble free.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thus far in my pipe smoking journey I strongly prefer the Oom Paul shape, and want to buy a system pipe. Anybody have a preference between the Peterson and Savinelli versions, or a reason you wouldn't use either?
I wouldn’t use the Savinelli because it’s not a true system, especially if you smoke it without a filter. Plus it has a square pee hole and that ain’t right.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I have owned 3 system pipes. I currently own 1. I gave the other two to friends as starter briars after they got the hang of cobs. I highly recommend them. A flavorful effortless smoke every time if you prepare and pack your tobacco right.
I meant to specify Peterson system pipes. Never owned a Sav system. It's because I have a thing about sticking with the original inventors and have always viewed the savs as imitators. Not saying it's a cheap imitation. I don't know.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You couldn't pay me 5 grand to own a system pipe and make me smoke it for a week. The thought of all that disgusting tobacco juice in the well of my pipe makes me want to puke.

Save up your money and buy a nice artisan made pipe and you will see how a pipe should smoke. Something with a 4.0-4.5 mm shank. A hand cut stem made of high quality German Ebonite that is thin and flat. A pipe that practically smokes itself. Seriously Pete system pipes are something I would never own. There are just too many great pipes being made buy a ton of talented people.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Haven’t tried the Savinelli. The Petes are great and the original.
Original = pre-system? Do they smoke he thought of all that disgusting tobacco juice in the well of my pipe makes me want to puke.

The thought of all that disgusting tobacco juice in the well of my pipe makes me want to puke.
Not a nice thought, all that juice - but it's otherwise going into the stem or pooling in the bowl, right? I'm not sure I see the real difference.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog

Original = pre-system? Do they smoke he thought of all that disgusting tobacco juice in the well of my pipe makes me want to puke.

Not a nice thought, all that juice - but it's otherwise going into the stem or pooling in the bowl, right? I'm not sure I see the real difference.
The moisture in the well doesn't effect the smoke. It can if you don't clean it , but that's with any pipe. The well is a definite benefit and not a pitfall. I own a few nice artisan pipes, I love them, but after paring down my collection from around 20 briars to just 4, 3 of them are artisan pipes and the 4th is the Peterson 303 Silver Spigot System Pipe. It's a reliably great smoker.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I have 2 Pete systems and 1 Sav system, I find the difference to be quite negligible, maybe a slight edge to the Savinelli, I find it has a more open draw than either of my Petersons do.
1 is a Fishtail and the other a P-lip, and the Savinelli has whatever they want to call their version of the P-Lip.
And as for moisture pooling, it pools in the reservoir part of the shank, I notice no effect on flavour at all.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The moisture in the well doesn't effect the smoke. It can if you don't clean it , but that's with any pipe. The well is a definite benefit and not a pitfall. I own a few nice artisan pipes, I love them, but after paring down my collection from around 20 briars to just 4, 3 of them are artisan pipes and the 4th is the Peterson 303 Silver Spigot System Pipe. It's a reliably great smoker.
mine is a 304 I think could be wrong. But yeah it smokes great. Yeah 304. And the well doesn't seem to collect much gunk especially compared to the mortise of other pipes.