PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
A bit of fun. I had a 312 stummel lying around so I grabbed a plip stem from Vermont freehand that looked like it would fit the military mount.

Fortunately for me, the plip bit is actually more like an orific button - my favourite.

I bored out the stem so it can fit one of the 6mm x 37mm savinelli charcoal filters, sanded the seams, polished her up and then bent using a candle and a pepper mill as the mould.

All up the stem work took about an hour of my time. It was something I had been wanting to do for a while and really enjoyed it.

0B2B8DC4-E72C-468A-BF2B-9F21315CBF1D.jpeg1EAD9314-4A15-4E81-8905-973D935CFE14.jpegEBB2EB3A-D4D1-4797-8F6F-379901B8C612.jpegphoto 29-04-21, 10 04 04 am.jpgACF873B2-4A4E-40C2-9985-F35EFA9FD979.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A bit of fun. I had a 312 stummel lying around so I grabbed a plip stem from Vermont freehand that looked like it would fit the military mount.

Fortunately for me, the plip bit is actually more like an orific button - my favourite.

I bored out the stem so it can fit one of the 6mm x 37mm savinelli charcoal filters, sanded the seams, polished her up and then bent using a candle and a pepper mill as the mould.

All up the stem work took about an hour of my time. It was something I had been wanting to do for a while and really enjoyed it.

View attachment 77803View attachment 77804View attachment 77805View attachment 77807View attachment 77808
Looks great!?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
How long did it take for the stem to soften enough to bend ?

I've been wanting to put a slight bend in an acrylic stem but I've been afraid I'd stuff it up as the pipe is a custom. I suppose I could always send it back to the carver in Croatia, but Covid delays in freight/post means it'd take a while to get it back.

Reactions: BROBS

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Maybe about 5mins, maybe a bit less. I wasn’t really keeping track sorry. I was holding about 10cm above the candle and rotating to avoid any one particular spot getting to hot. Pipe cleaner through the stem and then straight into a glass of tap water once I had shaped it.

I’m not familiar with acrylic. I’ve only tinkered with vulcanite

Edit: you could try reaching out to bullfrog pipes. They might be able to bend the stem for ya and are local

Reactions: BROBS and OzPiper

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks for those suggestions. I may try the hot water suggestion first up, along with a pipe cleaner in the airway
I prefer to only heat the area you want to bend. If you submerge the button in water you can misshape the slot etc.

just move a flame over the area you want to bend on both sides.

also for vulcanite: hot water will oxidize it.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Also... looks great buddy!
Chur bro. I find the candle easiest as I can sorta control the heat by feel and also can still touch the rest of the stem without needing gloves.

Good point re hot water and vulcanite.

Another technique is to do a rock salt bath in an oven i think.

How does working with acrylic feel compared to vulcanite?

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona

I've been wanting to put a slight bend in an acrylic stem but I've been afraid I'd stuff it up as the pipe is a custom. I suppose I could always send it back to the carver in Croatia, but Covid delays in freight/post means it'd take a while to get it back.
For acrylic I just submerge in boiling water for 5 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.