PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I have some experience with WW2 stuff. What you should not do is open the tin and smoke it right away. Put it in a glass and carefully add some moisture over maybe a week (I use moistened filters, that works best for me).

Also there's quite a safe test. Shake the tin. If it rattles, chances are >90% that your tobacco is trash. Like this one:

f278t14173p206262n2_PLxyBgIU.jpeg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have some experience with WW2 stuff. What you should not do is open the tin and smoke it right away. Put it in a glass and carefully add some moisture over maybe a week (I use moistened filters, that works best for me).

Also there's quite a safe test. Shake the tin. If it rattles, chances are >90% that your tobacco is trash. Like this one:

View attachment 76753
Yeesh. Is that pipe tobacco or roof shingles?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, good timing! Here's the sucker you might be able to sell the tin to.....
It occurred to me that some of our newer members wouldn't know this was high praise (joshing a recognized authority and straight shooter) I have met Steve several times at pipe shows, and have a high regard for him and his wife.

While he may not remember me from Adam or Eve, I hope he also took that quip in the manner it was intended.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
It occurred to me that some of our newer members wouldn't know this was high praise (joshing a recognized authority and straight shooter) I have met Steve several times at pipe shows, and have a high regard for him and his wife.

While he may not remember me from Adam or Eve, I hope he also took that quip in the manner it was intended.
I absolutely know who you are jpmcwjr, and did indeed enjoy your comment. No worries here. Besides, when it comes to tobacco, I'm the biggest sucker of them all!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Having smoked some 100 year old tobaccos on several occasions, I can attest that it is one of the most disgusting flavor experiences I have had. I would definitely wish it on my worst enemy.

And why I tried this out more than once can only be attributed to toxic stubbornness in the face of reality. There's this nagging feeling that it's just that one tin. No it ain't.
that explains the tin of hundred year old tobacco you sent me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If it were my tin I would open that puppy up right away. I have never opened anything close to being that old. You might be lucky and the tobacco was good, but if it is too dry and you can maybe bring it back to life that would maybe the best outcome and hopefully it didn't turn to dust that is like powder.

If it is like powder I don't know if that can be brought back. Maybe you can smoke it as a cigarette or maybe snus. I am not a snus guy but I am sure there some on this site who would love to give it a try. I smoke a few cigarettes a day, Camel Blue 99's are what I smoke. I have papers in the house and would definitely give it a go as a cigarette.
Ya gotta at least open it so the rest of us can live vicariously through you.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
Some people who seem like they possibly know what they might be talking about seem to like vintage tinned cigarettes of a similar age, see post 5#:

deuceswild818

Might Stick Around
Mar 21, 2021
Charleston, SC
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi everyone

I have come into possession of a tin of Lloyds' Captive Rich Mottled Flake from the 1920's and a packet of Rubicon Spun Cut from the 1930's. Does anyone know if this tobacco would be okay to open and smoke, or are they best left sealed as collectibles?
You end up smoking it?

Status
Not open for further replies.