PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Hey y'all!

It's been a while since I've been around. I was on here a lot back in 2013-2015. I have a cellar of 100+ pounds of blends that are mostly 6+ years old. I've been out of the loop for a while and looking to see if someone could give me a rough estimate of what some of these may be worth as I am interested in thinning the cellar out. Tons of Penzance, Stonehaven, Christmas Cheer, Balkan Sobranie, etc. Honestly any guidance would be appreciated. It's nice to see some of the old faces still around! I've put a link to my cellar below. Feel free to shoot me a private message if you'd like.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Holy shit. A lot.
Yeah I was pretty heavy into building my cellar for sure! Then life and kids happened and I don't get near as much time anymore. Planning to move soon and interested in potentially offloading some but don't really know where to start or what's fair value anymore. Just tried to look at some posts in the sale forum to get an idea but could really use some advice.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd say if you sold it off slowly where you could get top dollar, it could be worth as much as $15,000. $10,000 probably more realistic. The sealed 3.5 oz McClelland tins should get you $75 to $150 each. This all assumes 100 lbs. I think you'll find tins of very good blends that are 5 to 8 years old probably won't bring as much as you might like unless you sell them off a little say a time. For example, F&T CVP or Vintage might bring $30 to $40 per tin. Some of the less desirable blends wouldn't bring that.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
or you could just give away the extra and become a genuine legend which while in some way more valuable then money it however doesn't feed the kids. Just a thought.
Though like what's been pointed out if you want to turn it over quickly you'll probably not make as much as you could over time. And the thing is there isn't any official value for these things just what people pay for them and that's between them their pipe and their wallet. Personally I'd just do what people have suggested and have someone like pipe stud sell it for you. Or try you luck with an auction site.

Reactions: STP and RonB
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
By the way, if the 9 lbs and change of Stonehaven is in the original bags, that's probably worth over $3,000 all by itself. If I had that stash and I was trying to cash out without driving myself crazy by packing and shipping small quantities, I'd sell the high dollar items and keep the rest. I didn't analyze in detail but I wouldn't be surprised if 30% of your cellar is worth 80% of the total dollar value. That would of course depend on the packaging it's been stored in.

Another example is Aylesbury Luxury Flake. I think you have 55 tins more than 5 years old. I've smoked a fair amount of 5 year old plus Luxury Flake and it's really good. But if you put all 55 tins up for sale with the goal of selling it all in a week, I'm guessing your have to price it at $25 per tin. I'd personally rather have that than all the Esoterica stuff but that's me and not most people.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Find the real value of what you've got and sell it off slowly. But you have to offer the buyer a deal he can't get elsewhere, else why would he buy from you?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Damn, I just noticed you have 21 lbs of Penzance. If that's in original bags and tins, is probably with $3500 to $4000.

If you can wait a year, take it all to the Chicago pipe show in 2022 and rent a $100 table on Thursday to sell it.

After a closer look, I'd say you could get as much $20,000 if you maxed out.
Selling it yourself at Chicago will get you the most profit.
McClelland anything is going for about $40 to $50 for a 50 gram tin and the 100 gram tins go for between $85 and $120 depending on age.
The Esoterica heavy hitters - post 2012 - will get anywhere from $175 to $225 a bag. The rest of the Esoterica line can go for between $75 and & $90 a bag. The cream bags, if you have any, can go for double those amounts.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Selling it yourself at Chicago will get you the most profit.
McClelland anything is going for about $40 to $50 for a 50 gram tin and the 100 gram tins go for between $85 and $120 depending on age.
The Esoterica heavy hitters - post 2012 - will get anywhere from $175 to $225 a bag. The rest of the Esoterica line can go for between $75 and & $90 a bag. The cream bags, if you have any, can go for double those amounts.
Appreciate the input sir! And I remember you quite well from many years ago. You are a familiar face. Great to see you again.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Damn, I just noticed you have 21 lbs of Penzance. If that's in original bags and tins, is probably with $3500 to $4000.

If you can wait a year, take it all to the Chicago pipe show in 2022 and rent a $100 table on Thursday to sell it.

Thanks Hoosier. Appreciate your feedback. The Chicago Pipe Show was always on my bucket list. I did manage to make it to the KC show one year and had a phenomenal time. If I recall I brought a very old tin of Escudo I was able to share with the group. Great memories. I'm not necessarily looking for top dollar. More just trying to get a ballpark of what things are selling for nowadays. I think reaching out to good ol Steve might be my best bet.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
or you could just give away the extra and become a genuine legend which while in some way more valuable then money it however doesn't feed the kids. Just a thought.
Though like what's been pointed out if you want to turn it over quickly you'll probably not make as much as you could over time. And the thing is there isn't any official value for these things just what people pay for them and that's between them their pipe and their wallet. Personally I'd just do what people have suggested and have someone like pipe stud sell it for you. Or try you luck with an auction site.
I am certainly not opposed to giving some away if I got a table at Chicago next year. I'd gladly bust open some old bags and tins and share with everyone. The friendliness and camraderie of the pipe community I certainly miss. Made a lot of great connections many years ago swapping tobaccos and pipes.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana

Never thought of this, but that makes the most sense.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Thanks Hoosier. Appreciate your feedback. The Chicago Pipe Show was always on my bucket list. I did manage to make it to the KC show one year and had a phenomenal time. If I recall I brought a very old tin of Escudo I was able to share with the group. Great memories. I'm not necessarily looking for top dollar. More just trying to get a ballpark of what things are selling for nowadays. I think reaching out to good ol Steve might be my best bet.
You went to the KC show? If you live in Kansas let me know and I’ll come pick some up. :)

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.