PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Bought this a few weeks ago because it looked interesting. Looks to be rather old, and maybe unsmoked? Footed cutty shape with a largish metal tube/stinger that is secured with a pin that goes through the tube and stem. The shank has a small crack in it and has been sort of repaired with a fancy band made from copper or brass? There is also a label with a number in the bowl that looks old and written with pen and ink. This pipe creates more questions than I can think of answers. Why repair the shank if it's unsmoked, and why such a sloppy job of repairing? I can't find anything on the name or the logo on the tube, except maybe for Jacobean. Any thoughts?

fullsizeoutput_2d23.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d1e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d1f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d20.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d21.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d22.jpeg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Wow, thanks so much.I don't know where you found that info, but I really appreciate it! I couldn't find any other nomenclature on the pipe any where, but I thought it looked rather old.

You’re welcome. In case you’re interested this is how it was done. The key was making two provisional assumptions: 1) that after examination of the logo on the fitment it was a stylized representation of the initials JB, and 2) that the markings on the briar, in English but stating “Vienna Make”, suggest that the seller of the pipe had operations in both England (with London being the most obvious location) and Vienna.

The next step was to test these hypotheses. I pored over London city directories from the relevant time period (for various reasons I focused on 1890-1910, although the fitment clearly post-dated that timeframe) looking for a briar pipemaker or meerschaum importer (the latter being a key specialty of Viennese firms) with those initials, and one either identified as having an additional address in Vienna or at the least possessing a Germanic or eastern European surname. I got lucky fairly quickly and found the listing I reproduced in my post. The logo in the listing is both distinctive and identical to the one on the fitment, and together with the reference to a Vienna location, clinches the identification. Between them they clearly indicate Brix or his children (or more precisely their company) made & sold your pipe.

With the name Johann Brix in hand it was fairly straightforward to find other references to his involvement in the meerschaum and briar industry, including the beautiful catalog whose cover I inserted in my previous post. If you’re really interested you might be able to find the patent underlying the fitment, which was probably granted in the twenties or thirties, as a way of narrowing the date of manufacture of your pipe.

Cheers,
Jon

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
You’re welcome. In case you’re interested this is how it was done. The key was making two provisional assumptions: 1) that after examination of the logo on the fitment it was a stylized representation of the initials JB, and 2) that the markings on the briar, in English but stating “Vienna Make”, suggest that the seller of the pipe had operations in both England (with London being the most obvious location) and Vienna.

The next step was to test these hypotheses. I pored over London city directories from the relevant time period (for various reasons I focused on 1890-1910, although the fitment clearly post-dated that timeframe) looking for a briar pipemaker or meerschaum importer (the latter being a key specialty of Viennese firms) with those initials, and one either identified as having an additional address in Vienna or at the least possessing a Germanic or eastern European surname. I got lucky fairly quickly and found the listing I reproduced in my post. The logo in the listing is both distinctive and identical to the one on the fitment, and together with the reference to a Vienna location, clinches the identification. Between them they clearly indicate Brix or his children (or more precisely their company) made & sold your pipe.

With the name Johann Brix in hand it was fairly straightforward to find other references to his involvement in the meerschaum and briar industry, including the beautiful catalog whose cover I inserted in my previous post. If you’re really interested you might be able to find the patent underlying the fitment, which was probably granted in the twenties or thirties, as a way of narrowing the date of manufacture of your pipe.

Cheers,
Jon
Excellent detective work!

Reactions: OzPiper

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Here's the pipe after a clean up. Light sanding with micro-mesh and a fresh stain which filled in the gold stamping, which I didn't like anyway. I'm not sure what the metal band is, it may be just plain steel that was brass coated, and then copper coated. Again, I like the silver look of it the best anyway. The stem was an easy clean but I couldn't save the label in the bowl, so I just sanded it out. Still trying to decide what to smoke in it.
fullsizeoutput_2d2a.jpeg

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
My guess would be that if the band wasn't coated, that it is either nickel or cupronickel. Pure nickel is magnetic. Cupronickel is not.