PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Because they're so rare nowadays.
I just have never seen it exclusive from any other form of tobacco use. I see cigarette smokers, cigar smokers, chewers, and pipe smokers regularly at work and while I'm in town.?‍♂️

Reactions: JOHN72

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I just have never seen it exclusive from any other form of tobacco use. I see cigarette smokers, cigar smokers, chewers, and pipe smokers regularly at work and while I'm in town.?‍♂️
Different geography, different demographics. Different outlooks.

Here it's extremely rare to see tobacco pipes.

I also feel good when I spot them because it's just one more guy who's chosen not to listen to 'health' and 'wellness' nannies. So there's that too.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Were it rare here, I would still just group it in with the other smokers.
Again, different outlooks. It's kinda like seeing a 50's car drive by: in a street full of amorphous, drab, ho-hum vehicles, you pause for a second, raise both eybrows, and are pleased by the sight of a Chevy Bel-Air. WEll, **I** would, methinks you'd probably just group it with other vehicles. ?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So, you are out and about in the wild, and you come upon another pipe smoker. Sure, your excited. "Look, another pipe smoker. Let me go bond."

Ok, these are based upon me out minding my own business over the years, smoking my pipe, and the stupid things grown assed men have walked up to me to say.

Do not...

...ask to hold another man's pipe. I have no idea why this is the most common thing another pipesmoker has asked me. The thought has NEVER run through my mind to ask another man if I could touch, much less hold his pipe. My first reaction to hearing this is to just punch the asshole in the face.

...ask, "What kinds of pipes do you like?" When asked this, I am not sure how to respond, except with "What do you mean?" Then they look more confused than me, probably because they are idiots.

...ask "Want to try my tobacco?" NO, I don't know you. Maybe you treat your tobaccos nasty, or mix drugs in with it. It is a little different if I am at a pipe show, but even then I have packed some nasty shit in my pipe at pipe shows. Like right as I am lighting the pipe, the guys goes... "I mixed Altoids into it." In which I just casually walk over to a garbage can and scrape my pipe out into it.
If you have just casually walked up onto me as I am out smoking, I DO NOT want to discard what I am currently smoking to try your Whatchamacallit.

...ask "Do you smoke here often?" It sounds like you are trying to pick me up. And, while I am flattered that you'd want to date me, the very idea disgusts me.

Most likely, these people I have encountered are just morons. I have met other pipesmokers that just casually set down and start smoking their own pipes. Maybe a slight nod of acknowledgement.

And, don't be surprised if you see another pipe smoker, and when they see you walking up quickly trying to light your own pipe like an amature or blowing big clouds of smoke, and they just turn and skirt off quickly. I've seen guys coming at me like a freight train, and my first thought is to just get the F away as quickly as possible.

Don't ask me questions. You are asking me to take my pipe out of my mouth, and that is the last thing I want to do. If you got something to tell me, fire away, but don't expect me to engage in the conversation.

Also, don't blow big clouds of smoke. If you want to look like you have no freaking idea what you are doing, just blow a big cloud. To me it is like hearing someone grinding gears. It shows that this is probably your first time to ever smoke a pipe.

What are some etiquette things you guys can think of... discuss...
The curmudgeon doth speak, and that so very well. You kept me laughing, although I know you weren't trying to do so.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
About the only name that readily comes to mind from cars of yore is the Edsel, but I couldn't use that: it'd be like spotting someone smoking a Dunhill! ?
Look up '58 Plymouth Fury, bet you recognize it.?

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
A few years back, I had an odd encounter with someone,who loved the smell of the pipe that I was smoking.

As I was driving down the road, I was about to pass a bicyclist riding on the shoulder. The road is rather narrow, and posted for 35mph. Since there was no oncoming traffic, I not only slowed, but gave him plenty of room while passing. Not 10 seconds later, I look in the mirror, and he was right on the bumper, keeping pace. I got well ahead of him, and pulled-over at a safe spot, waiting for him to catch-up. I flagged him down, intending to tell him his antics were dangerous. I asked him what was up? Was he mad that I had not given him enough room when passing? I know that I did. I was mostly in the oncoming lane. Expecting some argument, I was ready. It turns out that he was loving the smell of my pipe, and was trying to get as close as possible.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A few years back, I had an odd encounter with someone,who loved the smell of the pipe that I was smoking.

As I was driving down the road, I was about to pass a bicyclist riding on the shoulder. The road is rather narrow, and posted for 35mph. Since there was no oncoming traffic, I not only slowed, but gave him plenty of room while passing. Not 10 seconds later, I look in the mirror, and he was right on the bumper, keeping pace. I got well ahead of him, and pulled-over at a safe spot, waiting for him to catch-up. I flagged him down, intending to tell him his antics were dangerous. I asked him what was up? Was he mad that I had not given him enough room when passing? I know that I did. I was mostly in the oncoming lane. Expecting some argument, I was ready. It turns out that he was loving the smell of my pipe, and was trying to get as close as possible.
Now if that happened to @embers "followers will be ignored" he would feel threatened, or worse still, be threatening ?

Reactions: Trainpipeman
Status
Not open for further replies.