PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I enjoy both. Pipe clubs are a great time. It's nice to talk pipes and tobaccos whilst enjoying them. But usually it's just me and this pipe forum haha

Reactions: OzPiper
H

Hfinn

I think social smoking is less enjoyable because you are distracted by your surroundings. I recently watched one blogger on YouTube, he tried to smoke a pipe while shooting, but nothing came of it, during a conversation the pipe was constantly extinguished, he just had no time to smoke it, because he was talking all the time.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I think social smoking is less enjoyable because you are distracted by your surroundings. I recently watched one blogger on YouTube, he tried to smoke a pipe while shooting, but nothing came of it, during a conversation the pipe was constantly extinguished, he just had no time to smoke it, because he was talking all the time.
Bremen piper on YT can smoke a pipe and make intelligent conversation in English at the same time. He can also do both on a bicycle whilst holding a camera and not crashing into a parked BMW. SKILLS!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bremen piper on YT can smoke a pipe and make intelligent conversation in English at the same time. He can also do both on a bicycle whilst holding a camera and not crashing into a parked BMW. SKILLS!
Why wouldn't someone be able to multi-task while smoking a pipe? I do it at work all of the time.

@marconi @chasingembers
I am constantly using both hands to do something else while smoking, especially while driving or working at the bench. But, ask me a question or try to converse where I have to pull my pipe out of my mouth, and it ruins the smoke, IMO, and ruins whatever it was I was working on. Plus, don't talk to me while I am working! My wife has no notion of this, but I've learned to just tune her out while I work.

For some of us clenchers, the whole enjoyment comes from a slow steady deliberate stream of smoke trickling in and out of our mouth, so to stop and take the pipe out of our clench, even if our hands are free, is an interruption to the whole smoking process.

I can listen (some of the time) no problem, but if you expect me to respond, just scram, get out of my yard, ha ha.

I have an advantage there. My department at work was created for me when the CEO saw me working Rubik's puzzles. Out of a 12 hour shift I only see people when I arrive and when I leave. Unless I'm in flammable zones of the facility, I always have a pipe lit while I'm working.
I should pile some shrubs around my studio to try to hide it from my wife, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
@marconi @chasingembers
I am constantly using both hands to do something else while smoking, especially while driving or working at the bench. But, ask me a question or try to converse where I have to pull my pipe out of my mouth, and it ruins the smoke, IMO, and ruins whatever it was I was working on. Plus, don't talk to me while I am working! My wife has no notion of this, but I've learned to just tune her out while I work.

For some of us clenchers, the whole enjoyment comes from a slow steady deliberate stream of smoke trickling in and out of our mouth, so to stop and take the pipe out of our clench, even if our hands are free, is an interruption to the whole smoking process.

I can listen (some of the time) no problem, but if you expect me to respond, just scram, get out of my yard, ha ha.
Yes there is trickling, but usually saliva runing down the stem...LOL!!

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
I would say usually alone. For me, there is nothing more satisfying than being outside in nature, watching the trees sway in the warm breeze of summer, or seeing those same trees stark and gray against a foreboding storm approaching when the world has turned all but grey. The birds chirping, squirrels playing, eagles flying by, and the occasional deer or owl are my only companions. I feel that my pipe connects me to the natural world around me in a way that little else can. There is no reason for most to simply sit and stare for 20 minutes or so outside, but I do it several times a day. Is this bad for my health and will I shorten my life by doing this? I don't know for sure. But if yes, then so be it. I feel I am gaining much more than any possible losses...
You beat me to it my friend. I am mainly an evening smoker and smoke from the seat of an old golf cart that I use for chores around the property. This is usually done with only the company of my dog. It is my break from this dicked up world!

R

Rattray

I'm the absolute party animal. I love smoking my pipe in public as it always draws approval from the crowd. I also like to smoke my pipe alone when I want some privacy.

No more gross than you with a gag ball in your mouth, LOL.
I used the word "like" in the sentence. Similes are way less gross than actually spitting into your pipe, ha ha.

And, just for the record, I didn't spin that phrase first. "Ball gag" was used on here to describe pipe rubbers, long before I got here. I am just now realizing what a ball gag even is used for... outside of pipesmoking, ha ha. I just thought is was a good way of thinking of the rubbers.

• Love
Reactions: telescopes