PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I took "much ado about nothing" to mean discussing these pipes is making a big fuss over something insignificant.
Not so much discussing, but others hatching conspiracy theories about intellectual property theft, etc.

As I eluded to previously, this type of private label marketing has been going on for decades.

And besides the trial going on down the road is kinda boring, and I'm feeling saucy...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I decided to go have a look at these pipes. This particular model and accompanying description are something else.

"Erin Go Bragh Tirim pipes will seem very familiar to you at first glance, but these aren't anything like the cheap knockoffs with shank caps that would fall off and stems that would break. Tirim pipes are smooth briars that are finished in a warm walnut tone with a lustrous finish. The shank has a bright metal cap that is fully integrated so it's made to last. The stem has the recognizable fluted shape you would expect, but it's made with incredibly durable and brilliant ebony acrylic and uses the more comfortable fishtail bit. Finally, instead of using a reservoir to deliver a dry smoke, Erin Go Bragh Tirim pipes use a 9mm charcoal filter to reduce excess moisture and cool the smoke. Best of all, you'll save a lot with these pipes vs. similar briars."

View attachment 73002
It’s like they shrank/enlarged all the wrong parts of the pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I decided to go have a look at these pipes. This particular model and accompanying description are something else.

"Erin Go Bragh Tirim pipes will seem very familiar to you at first glance, but these aren't anything like the cheap knockoffs with shank caps that would fall off and stems that would break. Tirim pipes are smooth briars that are finished in a warm walnut tone with a lustrous finish. The shank has a bright metal cap that is fully integrated so it's made to last. The stem has the recognizable fluted shape you would expect, but it's made with incredibly durable and brilliant ebony acrylic and uses the more comfortable fishtail bit. Finally, instead of using a reservoir to deliver a dry smoke, Erin Go Bragh Tirim pipes use a 9mm charcoal filter to reduce excess moisture and cool the smoke. Best of all, you'll save a lot with these pipes vs. similar briars."

View attachment 73002
So maybe slander would actually be a viable route to sue.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Like a plastic toy,
So made by Savinelli?!
Too me it looks like Doc Grabow got really drunk and woke up next to a peterson a peterson that has a drinking problem. And this is the baby and yes it's got fetal alcohol syndrome as evidenced by it's really bad guiness tat. That's what it looks like to me. So yeah a low end sav.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I don’t see imitation as the problem. Numerous pipe companies have been doing this since the beginning of mass production. Even Savinelli has a line of pipes that strongly resemble a familiar line of Peterson’s, and they’re not unattractive.

But those pipes pictured in the original post ... those are ugly. Poor imitation. Now, that’s irksome. :LOL:

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Hi guys,

I just wanted to confirm what most of you seem to suspect already: these aren't made by Peterson.

Thanks for clearing that up for those in denial, Josh!
I'm just glad to know the fine pipemakers at Peterson didn't all suddenly lose their vision and phalangial dexterity due to a factory explosion... because that'd be the only excuse for them turning out this junk that I'd buy.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Factories have been copying Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell shapes for decades. You can't copyright or protect shapes. Our exclusive brands are made by three different factories and we're very pleased with the quality of manufacture. The engineering has been very good, the prices have been fair, and the customer response has been quite positive. Based on how they've been selling alone, we're very happy with the result.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.