PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck1

Lurker
Apr 1, 2021
Tried my new Peterson Church Warden with MB Vanilla Cream. Burned well probably smoked it too hard and it is a new pipe. A bit of gurgle and it tasted like burning newsprint and ash. Much the same experience as my first try 40 years ago!!!

How many bowls before the pipe is broken in? Couldn't smell much either. Tin note is there but of what I cannot tell. Your guidance would be appreciated.

This time I intend to preserver!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you are puffing too hard, as you suggest, and generating a lot of moisture and burning the tobacco too fast. So first, slow down a lot. Don't pack the bowl too tight. Sip instead of puff. Maybe a little gentle tamping after the first light goes out. Some Petersons have some stain in the bowl, and that could be sanded out, but I think I'd just work on technique for now. After a half dozen bowls, things should settle out if you slow down. Keep us posted. I think others will have several other suggestions.

With a churchwarden, I pretty much stay seated. If you try to move around much, you can hit furniture and woodwork with that long pipe. But in an armchair, a churchwarden is ideal.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoke a lot of Mac Baren, but I don't think I would recommend them to a new smoker for breaking in a new pipe.
I would recommend getting a very neutral tobacco - Carter Hall, Lane RR, a simple burley along those lines.
Relax. Smoke slowly. You are trying to learn how to smoke a pipe while breaking one in. Don't smoke anything else in that pipe except that one neutral blend until you have gone through the whole pouch - 1.5 to 1.75 ounces. By then the pipe will be broken in, and you should have a good start on your technique.
Good luck. puffy

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Like everyone said, slow way down! As for break in, I’ve had a Peterson that took a good 60 bowls before it quit adding a “off” flavor to the tobacco. On the other hand, I have a Don Carlos that was perfect from the first bowl. So just stick with it and also I agree you should change your choice of tobacco until you figure it out?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Dry your tobacco, if you aren’t already. Most blends benefit from a bit of drying, how much depends on what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.