Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another state is going after e-cigarettes with a sledge hammer by proposing a ban on "flavored tobacco products." Hawaii's HB 826 specifically includes pipe tobacco.

Here is the text of the bill:
HB826 SD1 - https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2021/bills/HB826_SD1_.HTM
And, those poor saps, can't just drive to another state. I have had lots of family stationed in Hawaii, and living there is not fun, according to what I hear, lots of suicided and people living in squalor. Not much else one can do for a living in a state where about the only industry is tourism. It is NOT on my list of places I would like to live.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hawaii has its dark side, environmental problems from its volcanos and racial strife. I had a friend who went there to interview for law school at the university, and he went to a luau and was killed when some offended local person sucker punched him and gave him a brain aneurism. My friend was an avid photographer, and apparently that is an issue in Hawaii. It's not all hulas and surfing. Referencing the flavored tobacco issue, which crops up in all U.S. states and in other nations, we need to be our own lobby, point out the distinction between tobacco pipes and other forms of smoking, and make our pitch so legislators are aware of the difference, starting with demographics. As an aside, I have another friend who retired to Hawaii years ago and has had a pleasant and productive life there ever since, so there is certainly an upside. I worked closely with a Hawaiian in the veterans office at a N.C. university and learned a lot about the Islands. He had a lot of the verbal history of the place and was a fine story teller, many yarns about growing up in Hawaii.

I do have to admit that I get pretty sick of seeing kids blowing big clouds of vape juice, but I have never ever in my life seen a kid smoking a pipe.

There aren't enough people who give a shit about pipesmoking to make a difference. Our problem is that unlike the cigar industry who stood up to the government, by sending in Marco Rubio and some thugs to address the issue. I haven't seen anyone in the pipe industry do a damn thing besides ask "where do I find the needed forms?"
At least after the pipe world is a smoldering crater, we will still have cigars. Phhhht.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's funny how they've targeted the vaping.. That stuff is probably safer than all forms of tobacco. They're proving right before our eyes that they can restrict and ban any product or activity they'd like. I don't vape.. and I never will, but it doesn't mean I like to see them become the scapegoat.
It's a basic strategy. Divide and conquer. Get all nicotine users in different camp. Have them at each other's throats. Easier to have a sub segment hated by all the others.

Reactions: garywlee and Reggie
It's a basic strategy. Divide and conquer. Get all nicotine users in different camp. Have them at each other's throats. Easier to have a sub segment hated by all the others.
You do know that this was started and maintained by the cigarette industry, right? Check out who the board that oversees this is made up of. This is specifically cigarettes taking over the rest of the industries. They did it to chewing tobacco and dip, and they are doing this to the rest.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You do know that this was started and maintained by the cigarette industry, right? Check out who the board that oversees this is made up of. This is specifically cigarettes taking over the rest of the industries. They did it to chewing tobacco and dip, and they are doing this to the rest.
Point is, it doesn't matter. It's working, and it's working just the way they want it. It's hard as hell to quit cigarettes. Most who are hooked are hooked for life. Everyone can point to obvious and say it's cigarettes, but that won't hurt the Big Tobacco.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

They used government agencies to eliminate their competition. Like drug dealers do..

Makes you wonder how effective these agencies are at helping us.. don't it?

Reactions: garywlee

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Wait, that doesn't make sense. if Cigarettes are dividing us to conquer the industry, then we should all just fold up into a big ol' Phillip Morris tent and be happy?
No, we take in cigarette users, not Big Tobacco. We all become tobacco users. And put up a single front. Yes, cigarettes suck, but we all use tobacco and we should all have single united front against tobacco nazis. Deal with Big Tobacco later.

Reactions: garywlee
No, we take in cigarette users, not Big Tobacco. We all become tobacco users. And put up a single front. Yes, cigarettes suck, but we all use tobacco and we should all have single united front against tobacco nazis. Deal with Big Tobacco later.
I think this whole perspective doesn't take into account what is really happening. This is Big Cig getting it's way while making liberals the scape goats, but all in all, if you look at the votes, this is a bipartisan buttfuck.
In Alabama, the GOP is trhe biggest supporters of anti-smoking laws. The real enemy is cigarettes not a bunch of wholewheat libtards.

The whole partisan divide right now is Americans being played by industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.