PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I like variety. I like being able to try different things sometimes and having choices when I feel like smoking a pipe. I don't need to try everything out there or fear missing out. I've missed out on somethings better then any pipe tobacco so.... But sometimes I feel like something light or something darker. However with snuff I've found my few favorites. The thing is it's not because I don't like other things it's just my nose agrees better with certain styles of snuff.
Where do you get your snuff? I've been wanting to try some but am kinda lost on where to get some

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Great post, Edger.

Novelty is fun but wears off after discovering one’s likes and dislikes. From there, in my case, down to a genre and then further to a handful of burley or burley forward blends. Of these, I’m sure I could be satisfied if limited to any one. Knowing you’re going to enjoy that blend takes all the guess work out of the equation.

After years of tasting hundreds of beers, it’s kinda the same. You discover what type of beer you enjoy and a few among those became favorites No need to buy a wall length refer to “cellar” 100 brands of beer.

Reactions: edger and Reggie

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
After smoking a pipe over a year now I'm certain I would be extremely pleased with only 6-8 blends for life. Unfortunately, the stress of picking them at this point might just end my life.
:oops:
So on with variety for a while.
This is exactly where I am. I don't think I can put a number on how many blends I would "need" but I think I could find a few that would keep me happy from now until the end: Nightcap, MM965, Cult Blood Red Moon, Maltese Falcon, EMP, Boswell's Best, PS Bullseye

Reactions: PipesRock and edger
There aren't just a few blends that i would be satisfied with over the long haul. I like diversity too much. However, at times I will mostly just smoke a pound of something till it is gone, but only for my afternoon work smokes. I may still smoke something light for breakfast and something of a sledgehammer for before bed.

I was smoking the hell out of Habana Daydream, going though a couple of pounds rather fast. Now, I am on to Golden Extra. But, I am always alternating with things like aged Annie Cake and Pegasus and things like that.

So, as I reflect as I type, I guess the short answer would be no, maybe, kind of...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Out of stock in 5,4,3,2,1.... ???
I've got 20 pounds of it left and haven't had to buy any since 2014. The new stuff is the wrong cut and a looser cake than it was prior to C&D replacing their machinery. In 2016 it was spoken of quite often here and was out of stock for a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex.Jr

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
H
I've got 20 pounds of it left and haven't had to buy any since 2014. The new stuff is the wrong cut and a looser cake than it was prior to C&D replacing their machinery. In 2015 it was spoken of quite often here and was out of stock for a few months.
Haven’t tried but it must be a good one.

I smoke a lot of sextant, I’d like to hear how they compare if you’ve had both.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
H

Haven’t tried but it must be a good one.

I smoke a lot of sextant, I’d like to hear how they compare if you’ve had both.

Black Frigate's creator, Craig Tarler, made me a one pound brick of Black Frigate without the latakia. Best tobacco I've ever had.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020

Black Frigate's creator, Craig Tarler, made me a one pound brick of Black Frigate without the latakia. Best tobacco I've ever had.
That must be a tasty one.... oh well now I’ve got to try Black Frigate ?‍♂️

When you think the search is over... ??

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have my 5 or 6 favorites, but I certainly like having a bunch of different blends to bounce around. I like the variety, and my favorites aren't going anywhere. While I like the variety primarily for the variety, it doesn't hurt that my stash of favorites will last longer because of it.