PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
San Francisco, California
Apologies for being naive - but what do I need to get started in smoking pipe? I have a pipe to begin with - it's a Falcon aluminum straight stem. I understand, obviously, I need tobacco. Which is a good brand? (I am no stranger to smoking tobacco). How to choose tobacco? What are the criteria? I am aware of Three Nuns which my dad used to smoke. Lighter, and other accessories? Cleaning tools? And from where to purchase all these? I will really appreciate it for any pointers!

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Welcome and good luck on the voyage! You have come to the right place. As stated: you need a pipe and some tobacco. Having some pipe cleaners and a pipe tool will make for a smoother ride, too.

Rather than repeat what has been said, the search bar will treat you just right. Pay attention to how you pack your tobacco, how fast you smoke it, etc. All of this can be readily found across the internet.

Is there a flavor profile you are looking for? There are a few families of blends and they are all worth trying out.

At any rate, welcome to the hobby!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Some say savinelli doblone d’oro is the closest thing on the market to the old three nuns if that is what you want to try out for sentimental reasons.

Smokingpipes.com has a easy tobacco finder feature so you can easily search for different blends depending on their components etc.

Stick around long enough and one of these codgers will tell ya to stuff some C&D Pegasus in that falcon of yours. It’s only a matter of time.

Enjoy the process

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Kaarigar,

My routine. Paper towel onto which I set my lighter, one pipe cleaner, pipe tool, ash tray and my loaded pipe.

Next stop? The coffee pot. You’ll really need to experiment with pairing something to sip. If you sip something sweet just before you puff, sometimes that can really bring forth the flavor from your tobaccos.

Don’t worry about how many relights. But be gentle with your draw and tamping. The idea of tamping is to gently press the ember so that the tobacco burns to your liking. This takes practice.

At about the 30 minute mark I usually run the pipe cleaner in and out to grab any moisture and I gently tap out my ash. (Don’t bang the pipe, it’ll fall out with a tap) Relight if necessary. This refreshes the flavor which can get ashy. Although some others won’t dump ash. But it’s my routine.

When finished, I use the paper towel in a tight twist or insert my finger if the bowl will allow and wipe out the inside. — others don’t do this and like to build a cake. This is my routine. I think pipes taste best clean.

Lastly, I insert the pipe cleaner and leave it to help absorb moisture. Others will leave the pipe cleaner in until the next time they smoke. I remove it and then put the pipe away.

Every so many smokes, give your pipe a clean or a rinse. Hahhaha Search the forum for “Water Rinse”. That topic is a can of worms.

I hope this helps. As for tobacco? You’re on your own journey for the Grail.

On edit— Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Kaarigar

Then scroll and look around through the SmokingPipes Daily Reader!

Have Fun! :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe, tobacco, matches or lighter, pipe tool like a Czech tool or pipe nail, pipe cleaners. Take your time. The goal is enjoyment. Sip don't puff relentlessly. A beverage is good, and just water is fine. Don't worry about relights, and a little unburnt tobacco at the end is fine (called dottle). Have fun.

P.S. Your Falcon uses a moisture ring under the screw-on bowl, but you can make these by cutting a short piece of pipe cleaner and bending it into a ring.

Mar 1, 2014
Apologies for being naive - but what do I need to get started in smoking pipe? I have a pipe to begin with - it's a Falcon aluminum straight stem. I understand, obviously, I need tobacco. Which is a good brand? (I am no stranger to smoking tobacco). How to choose tobacco? What are the criteria? I am aware of Three Nuns which my dad used to smoke. Lighter, and other accessories? Cleaning tools? And from where to purchase all these? I will really appreciate it for any pointers!
Where to purchase will depend on where you are.

I usually deal with Smokingpipes.com for U.S. purchases and GQ Tobaccos in the U.K.

In general I recommend Carter Hall for an easy going starter tobacco that's available globally, eventually you'll want to explore Virginia Perique blends and Latakia ("English") blends.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
98 pipes, 24 different tobaccos, 12 pipe tamps, 26 pipe rests to set about the house, matches, 6 lighters, a pipe bag, start off with 2 dozen mason jars, a wind cap or two, a beard, a straw hat, a comfy chair, the LOTR trilogy, and a box set of Bing Crosby movies... to start off... puffy
98 is an even 14 week rotation...should get him going nicely

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
98 pipes, 24 different tobaccos, 12 pipe tamps, 26 pipe rests to set about the house, matches, 6 lighters, a pipe bag, start off with 2 dozen mason jars, a wind cap or two, a beard, a straw hat, a comfy chair, the LOTR trilogy, and a box set of Bing Crosby movies... to start off... puffy
he can skip the hat. It's basically just a crutch for people who don't know how to "really smoke" a pipe. :)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you smoked pipe tobacco before, what have you tried? It says you are no stranger to tobacco, but in what form? Easiest pipe tobacco to try is English/Balkan blends. They usually do not burn hot and has distinct "Latakia" to let you know you are smoking. Bulk blend called Balkan Supreme is less expensive, and tastes pretty good. If you are looking for what should be readily available, even if they are not really readily available, look for Sir Walter Raleigh. Smooth smoke that won't bite you. Otherwise, go with what you feel like and give them a shot.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pretty much everything except what cosmic has said works. Generally that's a good rule of thumb. Not just on this forum but in life in general. Pipe, leaf, and flame are the minimum. And pipe cleaners are super recommended. A tamper helps a lot. Basically there is a lot of trying things out and finding out what gives you the most enjoyable smoke. Lots of hints to help you get there though.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Great advice given so far....however there's no guarantee you'll actually like it no matter what you do. I've been smoking a pipe on and off for well over 40 years....always been first and foremost a cigarette smoker. I can honestly say it's only been during the last ten years I've started to appreciate and enjoy it more and more.

You've chosen a good pipe to start with...that's half the job done. ?

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
If you smoked pipe tobacco before, what have you tried? It says you are no stranger to tobacco, but in what form? Easiest pipe tobacco to try is English/Balkan blends. They usually do not burn hot and has distinct "Latakia" to let you know you are smoking. Bulk blend called Balkan Supreme is less expensive, and tastes pretty good. If you are looking for what should be readily available, even if they are not really readily available, look for Sir Walter Raleigh. Smooth smoke that won't bite you. Otherwise, go with what you feel like and give them a shot.
I used to smole cigarettes - but quit about 25 years ago. I want to smoke pipe because my dad used to smoke once in a while - there's some sentimentality in play there. Thanks for your suggestions - I will check them out.

Reactions: bullet08 and Ahi Ka

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
Welcome and good luck on the voyage! You have come to the right place. As stated: you need a pipe and some tobacco. Having some pipe cleaners and a pipe tool will make for a smoother ride, too.

Rather than repeat what has been said, the search bar will treat you just right. Pay attention to how you pack your tobacco, how fast you smoke it, etc. All of this can be readily found across the internet.

Is there a flavor profile you are looking for? There are a few families of blends and they are all worth trying out.

At any rate, welcome to the hobby!
Thanks - I will search the forum and get some basic information. Perhaps I should have done that before posting.
I am not set on the "flavor profile" - but I understand there'a a lot of variety of tobaccos available. I think anything that smells better an cigarette tobacco would be a start.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Thanks - I will search the forum and get some basic information. Perhaps I should have done that before posting.
I am not set on the "flavor profile" - but I understand there'a a lot of variety of tobaccos available. I think anything that smells better an cigarette tobacco would be a start.
Nothing wrong with reaching out on the forum, either! :) There's just so much out there, it's a fun rabbit hole to go down.

As far as room note, I think just about anything will smell better than a cigarette. Aromatics will additional flavors that can make a room smell incredible, but I think natural tobacco blends have a wonderful aroma as well. You'll find a million different opinions on this, but I think keeping your ashes in a sealed container or outside will help keep the stale smoke smell out of a room. Cheers!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I am new and was interested in smoked tobacco aka Latakia. A local tobacco shop had an English blend with this tobacco type. I enjoyed the taste so much mush I went back to get a blend with more Latakia.

Cobs seem to be popular with the seasoned members here, so it's an inexpensive way to start.

I use matches mostly and light as often as needed.