PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So I really like the pipe. It's a system spigot. It looks better then the picture on smoking pipes. The p-lip works in my opinion as advertised. It's not a game changer but it helps. I found at least with the first blend I smoked it did seem to help in some way delineate the flavors. And nothing dramatic but I could taste more detail in the tobacco end of the flavor without lossing the plum/wine/cinnamon and many things nice flavor of the Edward G Robinson blend. And yes it did smoke cooler I'd say slightly more so then the falcon. If you smoke too fast it can't fix that but if you let it get too hot it's seemed more forgiving. Basically if I had to sum up the effect it seems to do what a filter would do without dulling the taste. The p-lip is different. It felt somewhat akward at first but after a short amount of time I got the knack and honestly like it better then a fishtail but it will never be the deciding factor in my next pipe. The drilling seems perfect the finish is where it is supposed to be. All in all a great pipe felt like I got more then my moneys worth and wish I would have tried it earlier. Only issue is I do like turning my pipes upside down to dump the ash not a good idea with a system pipe I am told. Oh and the shape fits my hand very comfortably even though I wasn't sure it would from the pictures. Last thing actually find it better for clenching. When I'd blow smoke out of the other side of my mouth it didn't seem to send and smoke back through the chamber so that is a plus.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Only issue is I do like turning my pipes upside down to dump the ash not a good idea with a system pipe I am told.
You can do that, just pull the stem and empty the well first. I don’t usually dump ash mid bowl but will always empty the well at the end of the bowl before dumping the ash. Which shape did you get? I love my systems and highly recommend getting one that has a chimney like the Deluxe or Pub pipe. Congrats and enjoy!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
You can do that, just pull the stem and empty the well first. I don’t usually dump ash mid bowl but will always empty the well at the end of the bowl before dumping the ash. Which shape did you get? I love my systems and highly recommend getting one that has a chimney like the Deluxe or Pub pipe. Congrats and enjoy!
304 is what's stamped on the shank. I call it a clog like those wooden shoes (how is that supposed to be spelled??)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Congrats on the first Peterson System pipe. ”Operating“ this tool is just a little different from other pipes, adds a little fun factor. The p-lip is a polarizing feature; I’m a fan, and like the change once in a while.

You chose a great blend to start things off. puffy
I like the system pipe. It's not too hard or different to use but you have to be more aware of where you place the button and there is a sweet spot that you have to get it too work smoothly. But it's weirdly fun to have a pipe I have to think about one little factor with.
Oh certainly a great blend. One of my favorites if I am to be honest about it.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I got this last year: Peterson Pipes: Irish Made Army (120) Fishtail - https://www.peterson.ie/pipes/classic/irish-made-army/moreinfo.cfm?pd_product_Id=1358
It's not system, has a 4x2cm chamber which lasts me about 60 minutes. One of my home-carved pipes has a 6x2.5 cm chamber, easily taking about 1.5 hours to smoke ribbon cut at a regular pace, 2+ hours for flakes.

I'm not after the gimmicky monsters that fit half a tin of tobacco in one go, and know different smokers can make even my trusty Savinelli 103's 3.6x1.9 chamber last three times longer than me (about 45 mins). Main point was that in my mind, I'd look at 6cm or more chamber depth to consider something an "XL" pipe, and would love to find that as a system pipe.

Reactions: bullet08

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I got this last year: Peterson Pipes: Irish Made Army (120) Fishtail - https://www.peterson.ie/pipes/classic/irish-made-army/moreinfo.cfm?pd_product_Id=1358
It's not system, has a 4x2cm chamber which lasts me about 60 minutes. One of my home-carved pipes has a 6x2.5 cm chamber, easily taking about 1.5 hours to smoke ribbon cut at a regular pace, 2+ hours for flakes.

I'm not after the gimmicky monsters that fit half a tin of tobacco in one go, and know different smokers can make even my trusty Savinelli 103's 3.6x1.9 chamber last three times longer than me (about 45 mins). Main point was that in my mind, I'd look at 6cm or more chamber depth to consider something an "XL" pipe, and would love to find that as a system pipe.
Looks like the Pub Pipe and House Pipe, which are system pipes, are the deepest at 5cm and 5.4cm. The XL315 comes in at about 4.5.