PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Missouri Meerschaum owns the corncob pipe franchise, so that is whereof I speak. Here is an offhand list of attributes, as a set up for others to add their own:

1. Weight for bowl size is excellent. The straight pipes don't put much weight on your teeth and jaw, and the bent ones put less.

2. Cost of course, eight or ten bucks for the ones with soft plastic stems, and a mere twenty-six or so if you get the editions with acrylic stems, which are worth every penny to me. Your budget barely notices.

3. Yes, I insist ... the jaunty look. I know they look a little rustic and down-home to some, but they provide a good compliment to jeans and a work shirt, and a zippy contrast to a sport jacket or suit.

4. They're easy to smoke, for new pipe smokers, and dependable and enjoyable for most experienced smokers.

5. Of all my pipes, the MM cobs are most likely to use up the entire bowl of tobacco, with little or no dottle, but more importantly, with no sour end-of-the-bowl taste. Good to the last drop.

6. If you take any kind of care of them, MM cobs will last for a long time, even longer if you have a large stable of pipes. I long ago ceased to think of them as disposable. They go on for years, decades.

But these are not their only salient qualities. Please add a few of your own.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You sort of hit on it with number 4, but you just can't beat that WIDE open draw. A great summary. I would also throw in that cobs provide smokers on a budget to be able to get a truly artisan piece at a low cost. There are numberous corn cob modifying artisans out there producing some truly fantastic work, at a cost that is less than most low end machine made briars. EMC Custom Cobs is one of my favorites. I just received a new poker from him last week:

2498CA67-FCC9-4975-8F7F-9C5998C1CAE1.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find they smooth out some blends too. Nothing dramatic but enough that some are better and some not in a cob. For instance if you find something with a lot of burly harsh it will be smoother in a cob. It's akin to adding sugar to coffee in a small quantity. You know if you put in enough to take away some bitter without it tasting sweet. That's about what a cob can do. They also handle goppy blends with more grace.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
You sort of hit on it with number 4, but you just can't beat that WIDE open draw. A great summary. I would also throw in that cobs provide smokers on a budget to be able to get a truly artisan piece at a low cost. There are numberous corn cob modifying artisans out there producing some truly fantastic work, at a cost that is less than most low end machine made briars. EMC Custom Cobs is one of my favorites. I just received a new poker from him last week:

View attachment 73241
gotta love hobbies. What I hate about some cobs is that open draw. I find it makes the smoke taste more airy. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member (sorry can't remember who) who has toured the MM plant in Washington, Mo., just west of St. Louis, pointed out that it is a sheltered workshop, so while they cater to our hedonist smoking habits they are helping out people who need that job and structure. I can't help feeling even better about my MM pipes now. As an aside, I'd say, that along with Dr. Grabow with its briar pipes, Missouri Meerschaum must be the largest pipe maker in the U.S. Those two outfits are the highest volume pipe manufacturers in the U.S. as near as I can tell.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
One word, cheap. Well, I also consider them to be disposable, to be used when fly fishing, chainsawing, any place a meerschaum or relatively expensive, well made briar would be at risk of damage or loss.
best thing about them really. Nice to have a decent pipe that if lost or exposed to massive explosions can be replaced for about the same price as a tin of tobacco.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Ol reliable. Even if the tobacco isn't dried to perfection or you're lighting up bowl after bowl, always a good smoke.

That being said, Ive gotten better flavour with certain blends in my briars and meer occasionally, but it's not always the case. Lately I've been smoking cobs most of the time for the consistency and no fuss attitude they bring.

Reactions: weezell and mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other points to add, they make excellent travel pipes because they are not as tempting for theft, they are not a big loss if lost, damaged, or stolen, and they are mostly quite compact. Four or five fit nicely in a shaving bag with two blends, pipe tools, pipe cleaners, lighter/matches.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Cosmic wouldn’t be caught dead smoking one. That’s praise enough for me
Cosmic makes and drinks mead. That puts him somewhere in the 11th century or earlier. In those days cobs were used to wipe your ass, thus his unreasonable prejudice. He might also believe that the earth is flat. Indulge him as he's a stand up guy otherwise.