PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I used to follow him on Facebook before I gave it up having found this place. Sometimes he would ask what we were reading and would comment on the replies.
Even visited his book store in Archer City once.

One of the few great contemporary authors.7715CC70-2E05-4A97-92D5-61CF0DD33A74.jpeg

Reactions: ChippewaAce

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Read his books, never read about his life, but he must of been something else to cook up what he did. Commented to wife late this afternoon, no mention of him of him in the media, he probably wasnt their Darling. Larry loved your work and piss on those that didn’t.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
He grew up around men who had driven cattle up the trails and lived the life. From that he developed his vision of the "old west." But, as was reported, he hated cattle and horses but, loved the rancher and cowboy." Sadly, the era of the cattle driving cowboy lasted less then a generation but, knowing some of the veterans, he could recreate the age as it was told to him. Lonesome Dove I consider to be "The Great American Novel." He took many tales, some tall, some true, and massaged them into the story.

A great story teller he had a knack for dialogue and could create "people" like no other writer I've read. Some of his best work was semi-biographical. The Last Picture Story is a terrific yarn about growing up in Texas in the 50s.

So much more to him than Lonesome Dove.

I consider myself extremely blessed to have spent a bit of time talking with him in the Georgetown store.

I love the photo of the Archer City shop. Thanks.

Reactions: ChippewaAce
Status
Not open for further replies.