PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Was. Changing directions with the career, now. Didn’t play the Trump Course. Had a tee time at Carnoustie and then the train had an issue out of city centre and I missed it.

Coming back to play The Old Course @ St. Andrews and Carnoustie in June.

Gonna sneak up to Aberdeen to play Craibstone with some pals there in town.

I’m itching for a pint of Tennent’s and a fish supper.
Are the green fees super expensive to play those badass courses that have hosted British Opens? Carnoustie has hosted it multiple times, no?

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Are the green fees super expensive to play those badass courses that have hosted British Opens? Carnoustie has hosted it multiple times, no?
I suppose it depends on your idea of expensive. Most of the open hosting courses are around the £100-150 mark for a round at peak times. Mostly it’s whether you can get one.

St Andrew’s has a fairly stringent booking system but other ones are relatively easy to get times at I think.

It definitely helps to know someone though as with anything of this kind.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I suppose it depends on your idea of expensive. Most of the open hosting courses are around the £100-150 mark for a round at peak times. Mostly it’s whether you can get one.

St Andrew’s has a fairly stringent booking system but other ones are relatively easy to get times at I think.

It definitely helps to know someone though as with anything of this kind.
I've seen the pot bunkers on those old courses. You need a goddamn forklift to get your ball out. I remember seeing Fred Couples some 25 years ago, trying to pitch out of one. His lob wedge might as well have been a 3-iron. Ball kept hitting the wall and rolling right back in again! Brutal. I wonder how many club shafts have been snapped in anger over those things throughout history.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier

As @Fiddlepiper mentions, I wouldn’t call it prohibitive. I think Carnoustie was going to cost about $250 when I was there and I just called and got a tee time.

The Old Course, however, has a lottery system. There’s an open period later in the year to toss your name into a hat. Must have a verified handicap and you submit the dates you’d like to play. I believe you find out in November, or so, if you’ve drawn a tee time for the following year. Ours was in June 2020, but the pandemic kinda screwed that up for us.

This year it’s in the second or third week of June as they allowed us to push it out a year because of the travel restrictions. We also get to play the Jubilee Course, as well. I think we paid $550/ea for both rounds.

Again, as @Fiddlepiper mentioned, knowing someone helps tremendously. I wouldn’t have been able to play Royal Aberdeen without knowing someone. Didn’t pay a nickel to play there and the course was truly amazing. I don’t know if it’s still the same, or not, but, at the time, they wouldn’t allow women to play the course. In fact, they had a separate women’s course for female members.

Reactions: Fiddlepiper

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I've seen the pot bunkers on those old courses. You need a goddamn forklift to get your ball out. I remember seeing Fred Couples some 25 years ago, trying to pitch out of one. His lob wedge might as well have been a 3-iron. Ball kept hitting the wall and rolling right back in again! Brutal. I wonder how many club shafts have been snapped in anger over those things throughout history.

I made it 16 holes at Royal Aberdeen before getting into one. Dropped one into a greenside bunker on 17 and proceeded to make an 8.

The bunkers are terrifying, but what a lot of people don’t realize is how pencil-thin the fairways are and how easy it is to find absolute mayhem when you miss them.

On another note, seeing the history in the clubhouse is truly incredible.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Let's take a moment and get honest about why 80's kids are so messed up. But first, @BarrelProof and @Fiddlepiper , jeez guys go get a room.

The reason 80's kids are so messed up is because they're primarily the children or '50's and '60's kids, and that was a very strange period from McCarthyism to Woodstock. Few of us escaped that even remotely intact.

Then along comes parenthood after a night of drunken fumbling around. Most 80's kids are screwed up because they got stuck with the kind of loser parents who, realizing that raising kids is an unending horror story of demands and responsibilities for which they have neither interest nor ability to fulfill, lacked the nads to dump them somewhere on the way home from the delivery room.

Instead, they stuck their progeny in front of the glass teat endless hours of the day, watching whatever deranged crap that was on the tele, subjecting them to the whims of monsters whose real intent was to train them to be consumers of crap.

I suppose I was lucky in some respects. It was difficult to get too engrossed in watching a small, round greenish black and white screen. And my mother had strict rules about TV. We were exiled from the house while the sun was up, so we did things that California kids did in the '50's, playing "army", building forts, riding horses, swimming, playing various sports, climbing trees, peeing in the community swimming pool, shooting stuff and blowing stuff up.

Back then, a broken arm didn't require mortgaging the house to pay for treatment. What a racket.

There were a few shows that weren't complete crap, like Captain Kangaroo, and there was a kids show that was like being in kindergarten. The rest was largely crap. The '60's was marginally better after PBS went on the air. Sesame Street wasn't lethal. But it couldn't compete with the commercial pooh that was children's programming.

Parenting requires a level of devotion that most people, like me, lack. My son begs to differ on this point. He says I'm a great parent. Hah! Got him fooled.

I know what real parenting looks like. My sister-in-law was hugely dedicated to her kids, and her daughters follow in the same path. Their kids have amazing lives. It exhausts me to think about it.

So there it is, '80's kids, it's the Boomers fault. Now go screw off.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Let's take a moment and get honest about why 80's kids are so messed up. But first, @BarrelProof and @Fiddlepiper , jeez guys go get a room.

The reason 80's kids are so messed up is because they're primarily the children or '50's and '60's kids, and that was a very strange period from McCarthyism to Woodstock. Few of us escaped that even remotely intact.

Then along comes parenthood after a night of drunken fumbling around. Most 80's kids are screwed up because they got stuck with the kind of loser parents who, realizing that raising kids is an unending horror story of demands and responsibilities for which they have neither interest nor ability to fulfill, lacked the nads to dump them somewhere on the way home from the delivery room.

Instead, they stuck their progeny in front of the glass teat endless hours of the day, watching whatever deranged crap that was on the tele, subjecting them to the whims of monsters whose real intent was to train them to be consumers of crap.

I suppose I was lucky in some respects. It was difficult to get too engrossed in watching a small, round greenish black and white screen. And my mother had strict rules about TV. We were exiled from the house while the sun was up, so we did things that California kids did in the '50's, playing "army", building forts, riding horses, swimming, playing various sports, climbing trees, peeing in the community swimming pool, shooting stuff and blowing stuff up.

Back then, a broken arm didn't require mortgaging the house to pay for treatment. What a racket.

There were a few shows that weren't complete crap, like Captain Kangaroo, and there was a kids show that was like being in kindergarten. The rest was largely crap. The '60's was marginally better after PBS went on the air. Sesame Street wasn't lethal. But it couldn't compete with the commercial pooh that was children's programming.

Parenting requires a level of devotion that most people, like me, lack. My son begs to differ on this point. He says I'm a great parent. Hah! Got him fooled.

I know what real parenting looks like. My sister-in-law was hugely dedicated to her kids, and her daughters follow in the same path. Their kids have amazing lives. It exhausts me to think about it.

Don't forget the ritalin. Took that crap for 10 years, and I didn't even get a briar for it! Had to smoke it out of a cob.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

I narrowly escaped this fate (mostly), as my parents were on round 2 respectively when they had my little sister and I, and as such, were in their 40s by the time they had us in the 80s and had learned many of those hard lessons with round 1. Similar to you, we were expected to be out doing things for fun rather than sit in front of the tube, and TV rules were very strict. Books were limitless. I was also lucky enough to be born early enough in the 80s that I was not swept up into the social media wave that has so mercilessly captivated today's young people, mostly because I did not own any type of cellular phone or other "device" until I was in my 20s, and had learned how to exist quite happily without it's tempting, albeit hollow, embrace.

Having older parents and older siblings, I naturally gravitated toward the company of people much older than myself throughout my childhood and adolescence, as the topics of discussion tended to be much more erudite and engaging, given that I had grown up in the midst of similar discourse.

Hence my presence here, talking to you old farts, deep in the tombs of my generational dysphoria to this day, ever toeing the line between the camaraderie of my youthful compatriots and the scornful acceptance, or lack thereof, of those whose company I more regularly enjoy.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
How much really good acid were the creators of Zoobilee Zoo on when they created that show? I have some very early recollections of that show, I loved it.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.