PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hope this appears as a new thread...lol.
Is a retort still a good way to sanitize a pipe prior
to selling as an estate pipe??
As long as you're careful not to let the alcohol boil over the exterior finish, the retort doesn't break or explode, or not burn down your house, a retort does wonders for removing stink that S?A misses. There is also an ozone treatment.

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
Yep, they can explode. When using use proper PPE such as gloves, safety glasses, and a fire extinguisher. Working in a metal basin is a plus as well.
As long as you're careful not to let the alcohol boil over the exterior finish, the retort doesn't break or explode, or not burn down your house, a retort does wonders for removing stink that S?A misses. There is also an ozone treatment.
that boil over can ruin a fine Bruyere yep I'm sure... or ruin some other fine crafting

Reactions: BROBS

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I find it to be an excellent shank method but not worth the effort for the bowl. With this in mind you can put much less liquid and it is much safer. Salt treatment for the bowl works good enough for me so that is my attack plan when I retort a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd opt for an easier safer method. Just me. Use a lot of pipe cleaners, paper towels, dish detergent for the stem, and a reamer (if needed) and rinse (not soak) for the briar, and a detergent soak for the stem. And more pipe cleaners and paper towels. Much elbow grease, no fire department.

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
I find it to be an excellent shank method but not worth the effort for the bowl. With this in mind you can put much less liquid and it is much safer. Salt treatment for the bowl works good enough for me so that is my attack plan when I retort a pipe.
any sort of special salts, so fill bowl with salt and cotton? for boil over, then propyl alcohol, though I would prefer a grain alcohol and I have heard of using a low price vodka , but would prefer an everclear

Reactions: ofafeather
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
any sort of special salts, so fill bowl with salt and cotton? for boil over, then propyl alcohol, though I would prefer a grain alcohol and I have heard of using a low price vodka , but would prefer an everclear
First clog the shank with a cotton swab.
Always kosher salt, not the iodised kind. It will leave a nasty taste in the bowl.
Fill the bowl with kosher, somewhat coarse salt, or cotton balls, and then carefully ( with a pipette ) with the alcohol. Beware to spill it over the rim ! White vinegar does a great job too .
Propyl is fine for me, if in a fancy mood I use grain alcohol.
Leave it for 48 hrs. , or as long as it takes the alcohol to evaporate entirely and then carefully clean it out.
Whipe the bowl with kitchen towel and alcohol.

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
Always kosher salt, not the iodised kind. It will leave a nasty taste in the bowl.
Fill the bowl with kosher, somewhat coarse salt, or cotton balls, and then carefully ( with a pipette ) with the alcohol. Beware to spill it over the rim ! White vinegar does a great job too .
Leave it for 48 hrs. , or as long as it takes the alcohol to evaporate entirely and then carefully clean it out.
that's it!!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I forgot ; during the alcohol cleaning I put the pipe to rest in a little tray ( stole from the kitchen )
filled with sand, or rice. It helps to keep the bowl stabile while in the proccess.
When you spill alcohol over the bowl the stain is ruined.
I soak the salt/ cotton balls with alcohol, up to say 1 mm from the bowl rim.
Good luck my friend !

crustybowl

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2021
New Brunskwick, Canada
Same here, kosher salt and alcohol, and let sit for 24hr. Unbelievable what all the nasties it will pull from the bruyere. It leaves the bowl smelling fresh again.

Status
Not open for further replies.