What Irish Whiskey do You Like or Recommend I Try?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
If you haven't drank for 30 years, why do you feel the urge to take it up again? And if your urge is a need, why not good bourbon to sip with a bowl of tobacco occasionally?
I asked myself that very question following a 6 oz ice cold martini that someone very dear made for me and put me on my ass LOL. So, why exactly does very dry+vodka+martini
="goes down like ice water when it's served freezing cold??? LOL.

Bourbon-yes! But I'm thinking St. Patrick's Day is coming up and it got me thinking . . . hmmmmm :))))). I wish I lived close enough to come to your pipe get together's (and your bourbon looks fun in one of the photos--but the drink would have to be on me!).
hope your day and week is Beautiful!
kindest regards
mike

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
In my limited experience Paddy, Bushmills and Tullamore Dew are very acceptable in the whiskey department.

As for Irish beer I would highly recommend Guinness Foreign Extra. It's about 7.5% and has much more depth than 'regular' Guinness.

Regards,

Jay.?
Thanks, Jay! My list is now growing for Irish whiskey and beer to try this year--your suggestions are much appreciated!
kindly
mike

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
So, why exactly does very dry+vodka+martini
Colder alcohol is usually smoother. Clear liquor is usually served cold. Warm alcohol can be more flavorful - think brandy and sipping whisky. The aromatics elements are more active when warm but the alcohol can bite more. There’s a lot more to it than that (most of it outside my knowledge ?) but that’s my basic understanding.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
My favorite whiskey for black coffee..............?
Great! I think my taste buds like certain whiskeys over others in coffee--I've tried dumping whatever I had close at hand (not gin, yet-Brobs :) !)--the only one I'm not terribly keen on is tequila. I bet Jameson tastes great in the coffee cup!! Mmm good
thnx
mike

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There are lots of good ones mentioned here but my favorite Irish is this one:

iu

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I asked myself that very question following a 6 oz ice cold martini that someone very dear made for me and put me on my ass LOL. So, why exactly does very dry+vodka+martini

Bourbon-yes! But I'm thinking St. Patrick's Day is coming up and it got me thinking . . . hmmmmm :))))). I wish I lived close enough to come to your pipe get together's (and your bourbon looks fun in one of the photos--but the drink would have to be on me!).
hope your day and week is Beautiful!
kindest regards
mike
Have you ever drunk Manhattans? They offer the same smoothness and knockout power as Martinis, but they taste better (imo) and preserve a lot of the character of the whiskey. They just glide the whiskey down your throat, as I remember reading from a cocktail writer. Super easy to make too. 2 parts whiskey, 1 part vermouth rouge/sweet, bitters to taste. Stir with ice and pour neat in a glass of your choice. Works well with most whiskeys.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I was impressed with Sexton's Irish Whiskey enough to have bought a second bottle of it. It's a single malt Irish that is triple distilled in copper pot stills and then aged in sherry casks from Spain. Personally, I get a dried fruit and honey flavor with a little nuttiness. I prefer it over some of the other Irish offerings in in the $25 to $30 price range.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England