Disaster Struck at Pipestud's Consignment Shop!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Oddly enough this happened to me once years ago with a 100g tin of Dark Star. I purchased a 2002 tin off ebay, back in the good old days of course, and when I opened the package the tin was damn near round with pressure. I set it on the desk and boom, scared the hell out of me. Lost some baccy but recovered the majority and smoked it. Very tasty.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
The tin was really puffed up on both the top and bottom - a good thing, as it indicated a load of fermentation gasses within. Before selling, I always remove the plastic lids just for a quick check to make sure there is no rust anywhere. I set the tin down on my desk and slowly began to remove the plastic lid. All of a sudden I hear a loud BOOM! Both the plastic lid and the entire inner tin top shot up into the air. The plastic lid landed where you see it in the photo but the tin top was on the floor about three feet away from my desk. And pipe tobacco was all over the place.

Hi Steve,

now should I or should I not be worried about my most precious namesake tin?

IMG_0083.jpegIMG_0084.jpeg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Steve, at least you still have your humor. It won't last long as I am sending Vinny to send the tin to an independent lab for a forensic investigation so I hope it goes your way or 2 broken knee caps hurts like hel
Hi Steve,

Hi Steve,

View attachment 69085View attachment 69086
I think that if you find a way to have the tin opened remotely while you stand behind a concrete wall, you should be just fine, Duke.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
^^^
I was thinking the same thing, if it was that ready to pop it would've happened to whoever bought it.

Off topic but I can't believe I actually scored one of the 2012 HH Mature Virginia tins today! I think the whole transaction took less than 30 seconds and after going thru I hit refresh and all 6 or however many tins were gone (I think it was 6 originally). ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.