Why Is A Savinelli Punto Oro Gold Worth It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
New Accessories
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
No offense to anyone here... but being an active member of a forum dedicated to pipe-smoking - in my mind - kind of negates the idea that pipes are just a tool for smoking tobacco. I understand how the whole idea of being entirely detached from any emotions towards materialistic goods might appeal, but more often than not those who claim to care the least actually seem to care the most.

People are different and I get that not caring has become fashionable but here's food for thought: If you feel you must defend or even simply explain your stance of not caring to others... maybe you actually do care a bit after all, if you catch my drift?

Just my two cents.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No offense to anyone here... but being an active member of a forum dedicated to pipe-smoking - in my mind - kind of negates the idea that pipes are just a tool for smoking tobacco
I joined here years ago to inquired about better cleaning techniques from the now late Ed James. Clean tools function better. What else would they be?

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If you feel you must defend or even simply explain your stance of not caring to others... maybe you actually do care a bit after all, if you catch my drift?
Not at all, many can't believe that someone would buy them, use them, and eventually toss them. After thirty years of smoking, see how you still feel.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I joined here years ago to inquired about better cleaning techniques from the now late Ed James. Clean tools function better. What else would they be?

I don't know, I guess something you'd arrange nicely on a photo and share on an online forum for others to admire. So here we are, years later, with 25k posts still discussing our throwaway tools, devoid of all emotion of course. I rest my case.puffy

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Don't get me wrong - I don't mean to bust anyone's balls here, my point is we all care a bit more than we let on sometimes. No hard feelings. ?

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I believe not all too long ago a post was made which asked why newer people don’t make posts as often, and I believe this may be a factor. I’m all for this kind of stuff, it’s a forum after all, and I’d never want to limit or discourage anyone from sharing their thoughts or feelings on any related matters but, I’m sure the pages of disagreements/miscommunications/etc. could be conversed about at whatever length one might like in some other fashion, PMs or maybe just make a new forum page to go at each other on. Surely there must be a better way than overloading inquiry posts, as I’d imagine newer folk, like myself, look to these for answers, rather than looking for pages of information that is only barely related, if related at all past the word “pipe”. I’ve done a lot of reading on this site, and it seems like it’s common to find posts bogged down with a ton of stuff of this nature. Again, go at it if you’d like, and no shade cast upon anyone sharing their opinions. I don’t wish to create any issues between any one person on the forum and I, I just thought that this thread might be in small part the answer to the person/persons who asked why people might not actively post. It is a tad discouraging personally.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I believe not all too long ago a post was made which asked why newer people don’t make posts as often, and I believe this may be a factor. I’m all for this kind of stuff, it’s a forum after all, and I’d never want to limit or discourage anyone from sharing their thoughts or feelings on any related matters but, I’m sure the pages of disagreements/miscommunications/etc. could be conversed about at whatever length one might like in some other fashion, PMs or maybe just make a new forum page to go at each other on. Surely there must be a better way than overloading inquiry posts, as I’d imagine newer folk, like myself, look to these for answers, rather than looking for pages of information that is only barely related, if related at all past the word “pipe”. I’ve done a lot of reading on this site, and it seems like it’s common to find posts bogged down with a ton of stuff of this nature. Again, go at it if you’d like, and no shade cast upon anyone sharing their opinions. I don’t wish to create any issues between any one person on the forum and I, I just thought that this thread might be in small part the answer to the person/persons who asked why people might not actively post. It is a tad discouraging personally.
Have you ever been on an Internet forum b4?

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Not even that. I've found it to be one of their less popular shapes and I can find the shape even their top lines on ebay at ridiculously low prices many times under $50. They're like Hotwheels to me. I get them to see if I can and once restored they'll likely never be smoked.

I've thrown away more pipes than I currently own including Dunhills, Preben Holms, meers, and others just because they caught my eye at one point then fell out of favor like any unused tool.
Why throw them away?
Because it isn't worth the hassle of selling them, shipping etc?

glub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2021
KC MO
I have three punto oros in my rotation at the moment, two of which I got as estates with the one gold I own bought new (got it before I went into the deep end collecting estates). It smokes great, but, like you said, not radically different than standard Savinellis I've had in the past. That being said, the stems on all the POs are definitely a cut above those on your typical factory pipe and fit nice and flush with the shank.

If you can find an estate PO you like the look of that's in good condition, definitely give it a try. I'd say it's worth it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That being said, the stems on all the POs are definitely a cut above those on your typical factory pipe and fit nice and flush with the shank.
Seven of these were Punto Oros with three of them being Giubileo d'Oros. Never noticed a difference in the stem comfort or fitting except that they've gone with acrylic on all of the new ones, very uncomfortable.

20201129_190538.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Hello All,

I’ve scoured the Internet for any information on how and why the Savinelli P.O.G’s (priced around $200 - $240 US Market) might be better pipes than one of Savinelli’s mid-range priced pipes (around $150), and I’ve come up with very little, with the few posts I’ve found saying they recommend them, but without explaining why. Does the difference only lie in how it looks? That would confuse me, you see, I’m a gigantic fan of the Birdseye pattern, and strangely, I’ve seen plenty of their cheaper pipes show off a better Birdseye pattern than in their P.O.G line. Are Punto Oro Gold pipes really, actually worth it? More importantly, why?
Any pipe that costs over $50 is valued almost purely for its Aesthetics.

I have a few high-grade English made pipes for sentimental reasons, or something like the Brebbia Calabash that is produced with a very unique drilling process, but beyond that most of my new pipes are now purchased based on Weight and Bowl dimensions.
If a pipe is going to cost over $100 it had better be a quarter pound of Briar in the final shape, and surprisingly there are a fair number of places you can get large pipes for much less than that.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Each pipe I own has a story - a memory of a moment in my life that I do not want to forget. A few are gifts. But all share this one thing: I've handled them through the years, cleaned them, smoked them, and cared for them. If I were to call them only tools or toss them capriciously because I grew tired of them, what would that say about me?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Any pipe that costs over $50 is valued almost purely for its Aesthetics.

I have a few high-grade English made pipes for sentimental reasons, or something like the Brebbia Calabash that is produced with a very unique drilling process, but beyond that most of my new pipes are now purchased based on Weight and Bowl dimensions.
If a pipe is going to cost over $100 it had better be a quarter pound of Briar in the final shape, and surprisingly there are a fair number of places you can get large pipes for much less than that.
Wow - I guess I got Royally screwed on the pipes I've bought over the years... Not to mention raw blocks of briar. :LOL:

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Status
Not open for further replies.