PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You have to also be careful selecting a book. There are so many people who have copied his style in fanart that there are more books with these so called Lovecraftian anthologies, which weren't written by him, but full of people copying his style. Thumb through them before you buy them. The first one I picked up was one of these.
Too true.

IMO, his "Call of Cthulhu" and "At the Mountains of Madness" stories are quintessential to any collection but "The Hound" is one of my personal favorites.

Too true.

IMO, his "Call of Cthulhu" and "At the Mountains of Madness" stories are quintessential to any collection but "The Hound" is one of my personal favorites.
Yes, those are essential, but I also enjoy the ones that don't even mention any of the hierarchy or ancestors, but just has a story about someone you can guess has something really messed up with them. These, I think lends more of a mystery to the whole tradition.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Remember those little snap-pop things that you could throw at the ground and they'd let off a less-than-exciting pop? We used to be able to get them in a pack of a dozen boxes, each box having like 100 of them inside of it, packed sporadically within in the obligatory sawdust.

In a stroke of genius, I once thought that if I unwrapped all of the little tissue paper enclosed charges and dumped their contents into a coffee filter, I'd be able to make a giant one. I was right.

In my ignorance, however, I imagined the outcome being a cacophonous series of pops, like throwing a handful of them at the ground at once. That wasn't even close to what happened.

I dumped enough of these things into the coffee filter that I could barely twist the top to hold all of the little crystals inside of it. I had to use a rubber band to secure the twist so it wouldn't open back up on its own. Standing on our front porch that created quite the echo chamber, I slammed this baseball-sized creation at the concrete floor of the porch only to spend the next 5-10 minutes in genuine internal conflict over whether or not I'd just stolen my own ability to ever hear again. Neighbors came running out into the street and the police showed up a few minutes later. It was quite the scene.

I've spent the majority of my life shooting heavily charged shotguns at things, high powered rifles at things, spent some time in the Army, etc. I can't recall a single event that resulted in a louder noise in my entire life. I honestly thought I'd made myself deaf.
Tie about 10,000 sparklers together with electrical tape, stick them in the ground, light, and get WAY back.?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Built a liquid fuel rocket once that was in essence a 5 foot replica of a German V2. We even used a radiator pump to feed the fuel and reduced Hydrogen Peroxide into the expansion chamber with a model plane spark plug for ignition. It took months to build including the aluminum sheeting for the body, fuel tanks etc. The first one built and fired took off and we never got it back as it probably exploded over Epping Forest. The second once came down on the Municipal Golf Course an exploded creating what is now the 9th sand bunker! My cousin and I were thereafter banned from building anything else that cause issues with civil aviation!

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Fifty responses and not a single Chris Kelly pipe in sight! Shameful. The galleries are worth a browse:

One day I want to get a three pipe set from him, starting with a pipe that looks almost normal, with a tiny bit of corruption that you have to look for to see. Then the middle one half corrupted by something … unusual. And the third a horrific thing that looks like it burst out of the original pipe, leavig it a husk.

Status
Not open for further replies.