PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an unopened tin of #1, but I'd suspect that any C&D burley blend or single leaf would be good to outstanding. I started with C&D when it was still owned by Tarler and located in N.C. They've done for burley what McClelland did for Virginias.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I'm a #1 fan, I have topping/casing-sensing superpowers, and sometimes I need something strong but not flavored or sauced up. I'd put the Burley Flake #1 in the same minimally-processed category as various D&R and Semois.

For that reason, and because when that Dark Burley hits right its delicious, I plan on always having a tin on hand. The Perique and spice level is high for those that need to heed the pepper.

I have alot of Red VA and perique jarred/mylared up, and plan on making an aged Crumble cake of D&R Perique + Red VA + Dark Burley in the future a la Burley Flake #1.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I prefer #1 and #3, but I finished a tin of #2 and thought it was solid too. With the exception of #5 which is cased with maple and anise according to C&D (and is also a worthwhile smoke), I find these flakes tend way more towards the unflavored spectrum than most other burley-based flakes. Kind of like Haunted Bookshop and OJK, I found them rather plain at first, but as I continue to smoke them, I discover more and more nuances. As @spicy_boiii mentions, the dark Burley they use in these flakes is tremendous. I find it has a wonderful earthy and nutty flavor, kind of like Brazil Nuts. They're all relatively stout with nicotine, too especially 1-3.

As an aside, #4 has one of the most foul tin notes I've ever encountered, but it tastes much better than it smells, luckily. That is one I need to revisit actually, as I enjoy Latakia, but often wish blends that feature it had more oomph.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have heard good things about #4 but the Latakia in the blend kind of made me proceed with questions. I’m not really a Lat fan
Well, it's not a lat bomb, but you can definitely tell the stuff is there. I still consider it to be primarily a burley-based smoke, but you know how it is with Latakia... Even a little bit can go a pretty long way.

Reactions: Ishmael93
Status
Not open for further replies.