PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I did keto many years ago and it does work. Will you be able to do that for life? I wouldn’t bet on it. Most diets work. But the yo yo effect is almost inevitable.

Here’s something that works that you may find easier to stick with... eat until your full and eat whatever you want, without guilt. But, only eat once per day. You choose what time of day, but only one meal. Make it a balanced, healthy one but have a slice of pie and ice cream for dessert if you want.

No. you won’t “overeat” You’ll feel full long before you exceed your calories. It’s very hard to eat 2500 calories in one sitting.

The rest of the day enjoy coffee, smoke your pipe... but take in no calories until it’s time to eat again.

The 23 hours that you’re in a fasting state, your body will run on fat stores.

You’re giving your body a rest. Your sugars will not be spiking, except at your mealtime. Once.

You won’t starve. Your system will regulate, you’ll sleep better, digest better, feel better and you will lose a healthy 1-2lbs per week.

Hershel Walker has been doing this his entire life. The man’s a beast. He eats a late lunch daily.

Do we need to be eating three or four or six meals per day? Waaaay too much food. No wonder people are obese.

Edgar
Keto works. Sugar is an addiction. After 3 days you won’t “crave it”. I remember having my first beer after months of keto (Adkins) and it was the most delicious beer I’d ever had. That’s because I was able to taste how truly sweet that beer was.

I just think it’s too extreme as a long term lifestyle change. Your body needs both protein and carbs.

One meal a day is easier. You can have any food you like. Good luck ?
I'm glad to read this.

My problem few years ago was loosing weight because I didn't feel hungry nor did I have any appetite. I only drank water and black coffee and of course I still smoked several pipes a day. I had to force myself to eat at least small portions of solid food. In the meantime I lost 20 pounds of my normal weight. Also my mood was in disorder. Something was wrong with this lifestyle. Then I got the advice to drink high-caloric (2kcal/ml) liquid food. I did and 6 month later I had my normal weight again. Then I combined these drinks with normal food and started reducing the high-caloric drinks.

Now I eat one complete meal in the afternoon and chocolate, cookies, nuts etc. in between.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Is that specific to keto or just losing weight in general? I have been shocked at how much more I have felt cold this winter, after being someone who usually preferred cooler temps.
It's a know side effect of the diet.

I'm an outdoors person that doesn't feel the cold, the winter I was keto I was constantly cold. Since I've introduced carbs back into my diet I've gone back to not feeling the cold in winter and I'm lighter now than the winter I did keto.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Talking Keto here —The thing about sugar is that it makes you crave more. If you eat a protein snack, you’ll feel satisfied whereas, eat a donut or a coookie or chocolate and you’ll be returning for more. You’re not doing so because of hunger. It’s the nature of sugar. After 3 days with no sugar, the cravings stop and you’ll think you’ve found a magic diet— No carbs. You’ll lose weight and at first you’ll enjoy the rich foods. But soon, you’ll tire of the eggs, steak, pork rinds, cream etc and a plate of pancakes will knock you off.

Diets do work to shed pounds, but unless it’s a “lifestyle change” —something you can adapt to for life, the yo-yo will come back up along with the pounds.

Eating once per day is a tool to eat less. It’s simple math. Take in less calories. Take in any more and your body will create fat stores.

If I were to write a diet book, it would be two chapters and four words:

Chapter One — Move more
Chapter Two— Eat less.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I got tested last week and my LDL was elevated, but my doctor said the number is really only relevant to my over all improvement. The powers that be could ding him for not prescribing a statin drug, but I can take them home and toss them in the trash if I want. Pretty asinine but what can you do.

I've had good luck keeping cholesterol in check by adding some MCT powder to shakes. Doesn't change the flavor/texture, but has helped in my case.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I got tested last week and my LDL was elevated, but my doctor said the number is really only relevant to my over all improvement. The powers that be could ding him for not prescribing a statin drug, but I can take them home and toss them in the trash if I want. Pretty asinine but what can you do.
He can write the rx but you don't have to pick it up, just leave it at the pharmacy. Btw, that sounds so asinine!

Congratulations on changing your lifestyle, things will continue to improve as the moves from using carbs for energy to fats. It's really not a diet, plus the word "diet" has die in it! It's a lifestyle change, you have started to make better decisions and slowly can learn to eat healthier fats like fish vs cow.

Very encouraging, thanks for sharing your journey.

And thanks to the others for their shared support, it's nice to hear! Great community!

• Love
Reactions: edger

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My results at the 3 month mark:

View attachment 77603
Wonderful job. That's excellent and consistent progress. You're about to clear the 200 pound line, which was really significant for me, psychologically. I hadn't been under 200 since I was probably 15 years old. Being under 200 meant I felt like a "normal" person in terms of my weight (if nothing else ?), for the first time in about forever.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I didn't get any lab work done until I was many months in and everything was good and in the acceptable ranges by then. Perhaps your Doc's decision to not put you on meds means he is confident the number will come down with time?

Reactions: edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When young I struggled with gaining weight. Going home for holidays and eating like a baron didn't gain me a pound. With age, toning myself is more of a problem. Despite blood sugar requiring monitoring, this has been controlled by a generic drug, so I am not diabetic; recent studies say this is common among people over 65. A visit with a dietician informed me that more small meals help. I had to learn to snack, and I think that's totally odd. When snacking is obligatory, it loses a lot of its charm. Mixed nuts, cheese, even cookies. Everyone struggles with weight, gaining or losing.

Reactions: danimalia

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Wonderful job. That's excellent and consistent progress. You're about to clear the 200 pound line, which was really significant for me, psychologically. I hadn't been under 200 since I was probably 15 years old. Being under 200 meant I felt like a "normal" person in terms of my weight (if nothing else ?), for the first time in about forever.

It's difficult to tell from the graph, but I actually dropped below 200 this morning for the first time since I got out of the Army around 2012. You're absolutely correct, it was a huge morale boost. My goal was 185 and not only does it seem beyond attainable, it almost seems easy. We'll see where it goes from there.

• Love
Reactions: edger and danimalia

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I didn't get any lab work done until I was many months in and everything was good and in the acceptable ranges by then. Perhaps your Doc's decision to not put you on meds means he is confident the number will come down with time?
I hope so but I’m not worried. Apparently there is a test that measures LDL particle size which is thought to be as relevant as the numbers. LabCorps offers it, so we’ll see. The use of MCT oils and powders can also be helpful as well.

Reactions: danimalia