PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After watching Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock (health secretary) last Sunday telling the world how proud they were in getting everyone in category 4 (over 70 & clinically extremely vulnerable to Covid) by their deadline I was more than a bit miffed as I have a letter from HMG stating I fall into category 4 due to being clinically extremely vulnerable yet have not been vaccinated.

I called my surgery the next day and asked what the situation was and was told they were awaiting supplies of vaccine which contradicted Johnson's boasts.

Long story short, I contacted the BBC to let them know BJ was yet again spouting BS. Apparently I was not alone, they had several complaints along the same lines. I was asked if I minded appearing on TV but said I'd rather not as I didn't want loads of folk in my house. No worries she said, we can do the interview via Messenger using my Kindle Fire!

This was done and it was broadcast the next evening after the main news ?

The beauty of it was, two days later I got a very friendly call from my surgery (something of a first) advising me a district nurse will visit my home next Friday with my Covid jab......yippee!!!!

So folks, it pays to complain!

Regards,

Jay.?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
After watching Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock (health secretary) last Sunday telling the world how proud they were in getting everyone in category 4 (over 70 & clinically extremely vulnerable to Covid) by their deadline I was more than a bit miffed as I have a letter from HMG stating I fall into category 4 due to being clinically extremely vulnerable yet have not been vaccinated.

I called my surgery the next day and asked what the situation was and was told they were awaiting supplies of vaccine which contradicted Johnson's boasts.

Long story short, I contacted the BBC to let them know BJ was yet again spouting BS. Apparently I was not alone, they had several complaints along the same lines. I was asked if I minded appearing on TV but said I'd rather not as I didn't want loads of folk in my house. No worries she said, we can do the interview via Messenger using my Kindle Fire!

This was done and it was broadcast the next evening after the main news ?

The beauty of it was, two days later I got a very friendly call from my surgery (something of a first) advising me a district nurse will visit my home next Friday with my Covid jab......yippee!!!!

So folks, it pays to complain!

Regards,

Jay.?
My folks has quite a similar issue getting a vaccine. I prodded my mother to make some calls and ask some questions. What do you know? That same day they got scheduled for the vaccine.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
We're miffed with our local health department. Here we're in the phase where we oldsters are to get the vaccine. But, unlike nearly everywhere else around us, we're not doing an appointment system. Strictly first come, first served and they're not offering it strictly to residents, but to anyone who shows up. We've gone out twice over an hour early and both times turned away. Unless you're in line hours early you're out of luck. We cannot physically wait in line in a car for hours to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Vaccine distribution worldwide does seem to be all over the place. Obviously the wealthier nations are also the healthiest and this means those less off are left way behind. That is a sad but true fact. The COVAX scheme is thankfully making headway in that regard.

However, the US is right up there on both health and wealth yet they too seem to be lagging (Brad above makes the point) though things do seem to be picking up if Sky News are to be believed.

"Has this been televised yet?"

Mike, read it again ?

Regards,

Jay.?

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
However, the US is right up there on both health and wealth yet they too seem to be lagging (Brad above makes the point) though things do seem to be picking up if Sky News are to be believed.

The US has, as of today, administered a reported 59M+ doses. The U.K. 17M+. That's #1 and #3 in the world. In terms of "per 100 citizens" dose metric the U.K. is #4 and the US #6. And those two countries manufactured the most effective vaccines. So....kinda not so bad on the aggregate.

I stress aggregate becase how distribution takes place town to town can be executed widely different. To the theme/point of what you shared......always be your own health advocate. Don't wait for a hospital or government administrator to call your name or be proactive with an answer. Ask questions and follow-up. Not just Covid....any health situation. My wife battled through stage 3 Cancer and has a weakend immune system. I asked her Monday about when she is getting her shot...."Well, um...I'm waiting to hear". I told her to call the hospital/her doctor tomorrow 8am sharp. On Friday she got her first dose. Be you own health advocate in all situations.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
" I hoped against hope you’d have had a pipe dangling from a tooth while you ranted."

Nah, hung my pipes up some while ago. Besides, I've not long since had a respiratory nurse visit to assess me for oxygen at home. If she saw me smoking she'd go ballistic!

As it turned out on her first visit/assessment she commented on my (considerable) Scotch and bourbon collection, then spotted some pipes and an old ashtray and seemed convinced I'll get drunk one night, light my pipe and subsequently blow myself up despite my protestations to the contrary!

"What I meant to say was: has this been posted online yet? "

Sorry Mike, I really couldn't tell you. I do have it on hard disc mind.

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.