PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
So back around Thanksgiving, when the rumors began, that my main 'daily bread smoke', Prince Albert, might be getting the ax - we are still waiting for some sort of confirm/deny from Middleton on that one - I began stock-piling 14oz tubs wherever they could still be found; this, in planning for the possibility that this could actually be the end of a blend in production for 103 years - under Middleton or in the event of no one else was interested in picking up the PA formula for production under their label - I began to study on how to blend my own pipe tobacco. The results of which are intended to become my self-styled 'daily bread' in the even my 10+ pound stash of PA cannot be replenished in the future.

The first order of business was to identify one - through extensive taste-test trials - readily available, reasonably priced, decent, basic burley to use as my primary 'Base' blending tobacco - with as little added flavoring or other tobaccos as possible; and without being too 'raw', 'dry in the mouth, or, 'harsh'.

Low and behold, I land on Smoker's Pride: Full Body - the red bag - which is a basic burley, with just the smallest smidge of bright Virginia. This was exactly what I was searching for: not too much BS added, not too light on the Nicotine, and nothing bad nor remarkable - just a good, basic, essentially unadulterated Burley; and, at only $19.99 for a 16oz. bag - which I could buy at my local RYO B&M - there would be no problem getting my base into the future.

But then...

Just as I was lining up an order of various 1 oz samples to identify as my basic yellow Virginia, and, my basic red Virginia, to use in my home blending endeavors, I suddenly get the word that Smoker's Pride: Full Body - the red bag - is now out-of-production.

Of course.

I feel like I am being singled-out and vexed by the Pipe Tobacco gods.

Oh well; back to the drawing-board. - Sherm Natman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Rich Taste?! It's discontinued?! Hell naw. According to what source?
First got the word from @jiminks , then got the word from P&C, then got the last bag along with the word from my local B&M. Interesting to note: While they are axing the red bag, they are still producing all the aromatic-flavored Smoker's Pride line - Go figure. - Sherm Namtan

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
First got the word from @jiminks , then got the word from P&C, then got the last bag along with the word from my local B&M. Interesting to note: While they are axing the red bag, they are still producing all the aromatic-flavored Smoker's Pride line - Go figure. - Sherm Namtan
Damn. Any word on the Mellow Taste?

Reactions: BROBS

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'm getting kind of numb to the loss of beloved blends. So many have disappeared since I took up the pipe in 1988. So many right out of the gate. Add to that the ones that changed. Changed enough for me to notice, and I'm no "super taster". I go to the online retail sights and it's difficult to find any blends in stock that I even want to buy and there seems to be no end in sight. We are a blip. Not even worth a consideration to the large tobacco companies that are left today. I'm just glad I listened when I began and put some away for a rainy day because, surely we are in a storm. and there don't seem to be many sunny days in the forecast. How depressing.

Mike S.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm getting kind of numb to the loss of beloved blends. So many have disappeared since I took up the pipe in 1988. So many right out of the gate. Add to that the ones that changed. Changed enough for me to notice, and I'm no "super taster". I go to the online retail sights and it's difficult to find any blends in stock that I even want to buy and there seems to be no end in sight. We are a blip. Not even worth a consideration to the large tobacco companies that are left today. I'm just glad I listened when I began and put some away for a rainy day because, surely we are in a storm. and there don't seem to be many sunny days in the forecast. How depressing.

Mike S.
If it's any consolation, I'm brand new to pipe smoking and having no trouble finding fantastic blends that make me happy and draw me into the hobby. Maybe the tobacco was different back then, maybe not. I don't know. But considering the amount of enjoyment I get from current blends and brands, I don't feel like I've missed out at all.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If it's any consolation, I'm brand new to pipe smoking and having no trouble finding fantastic blends that make me happy and draw me into the hobby. Maybe the tobacco was different back then, maybe not. I don't know. But considering the amount of enjoyment I get from current blends and brands, I don't feel like I've missed out at all.
You sound just like me...in 1988!

Mike S.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Chech the vape/tobacco shops. Around here they carry Smokers Pride. Worth a shot.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I now have 10 years of Granger. I will buy more at every opportunity. It’s a good blender, so I can cut it with less desirable Baccys like Solani ABF, my C&D collection, Burley London Blend and the ilk.. to make my “good stuff” last.

Reactions: shermnatman
Status
Not open for further replies.