PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
I have this Savinelli Autograph pipe and am curious as to why it does not have the Signature Stem that Autographs have today. The nomenclature on the pipe is correct, has the 00 Italy on the underside of the shank, but there is nothing on the Stem at all. I have saw some other Savinelli that had a very similar stair step stem on them very similar to this one. Any help from the wise ones that know about Savinelli pipes would be appreciated. This pipe came from a Doctor's Estate and he had many, many higher end pipes, some newer but others were Vintage.DSC00307.JPGDSC00308.JPGDSC00309.JPGDSC00310.JPGDSC00311.JPG

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I have this Savinelli Autograph pipe and am curious as to why it does not have the Signature Stem that Autographs have today. The nomenclature on the pipe is correct, has the 00 Italy on the underside of the shank, but there is nothing on the Stem at all. I have saw some other Savinelli that had a very similar stair step stem on them very similar to this one. Any help from the wise ones that know about Savinelli pipes would be appreciated. This pipe came from a Doctor's Estate and he had many, many higher end pipes, some newer but others were Vintage.View attachment 64529View attachment 64530View attachment 64531View attachment 64532View attachment 64533
My Savinelli Autograph 3 hasn’t a signature too on the stem.

Also there is no Savinelli sign elsewhere on the shank.

The nomenclature (left side shank) reads: Savinelli over Autograph (all block letters),

Shank downside near the fit: 3

That's all, no replacement stem, if there was a signature it must have been buffed off.Savinelli Autograph 3.jpeg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My Sav Autograph (gifted by a forum member, who now makes pipes!) is an 'o' grade Freehand with plateaux top, and its stem has no Sav logo, I too believe it's due to buffing. My stem dulls up easily, it seems so, some might shine theirs more often.
Here's a pipe made by the fellow mentioned, and currently available for a 'give away' price. Looks worthy of an Autograph.
IMG_1619.JPG

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
I have several Autographs, this one a grade 6. It is sans signature, too. I'd have to check my others, but as someone said here, "it doesn't take much to buff them off." Your stem could be a replacement, but looks original. Its hard to believe Savanelli would let one leave the factory w/o it on there, quality control being what it is, especially on their top of the line pipe. What counts is what is stamped on the shank. However, I have never understood why manufacturers of high quality pipes don't use an inlay like Comoy or Dunhill rather then20210207_091041_compress66.jpgpaint. I'm sure its cost.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
Thanks to everyone, after viewing @STP pipe and noticing where the signature is I went back and got the pipe just right in the light and the signature is there, although very faint. So the buffing and everyone saying they are easily buffed out I would have to concur. Going to post a photo and perhaps everyone can see what I am talking about. The help and thoughtfulness of the members here is much appreciated!

DSC00312.JPGDSC00313.JPG

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I hope you don't mind me saying that the pipe is a showstopper, and for me questioning the stem that it should have vs. the one that it does have, which you admit is a perfect fit, would be the least of my worries. The grain is outstanding, and that's what would get my attention.

I don't know if I would smoke the pipe. Encase it in glass, etc. Handle it, fondle it, gaze at it; but smoke it, I dunno.

Reactions: 02Knight
Status
Not open for further replies.