PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

morior8

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
What’s throwing me is the “Real Briar” stamp. I would say that would make it a U.S. made pipe.
Yeah it seems to have befuddled the local pipe repair guy too. He's only seen one other with that and nothing with ornate stuff on it. He thinks the wirework and such was a custom job.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah it seems to have befuddled the local pipe repair guy too. He's only seen one other with that and nothing with ornate stuff on it. He thinks the wirework and such was a custom job.
I would guess an early 20th century to 1940s pipe with the custom wire/decorative work either done by another small company or an individual shop whether jeweler or tobacconist/pipe shop.

morior8

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
Found some more information

https://www.icollector.com/Antique-German-pipe-with-intricate-rope-and-filigree_i23497814

From a facebook acquaintance in the pipe community there.

"So I reached out to a friend of mine who has traveled Europe in search of pipes. Apparently they’re called “filigree” pipes and come from Germany, Romania, Hungary and Greece. Most are quite old, as the craftsman’s isn’t practiced much anymore. He said they typically go for between $30-60"

So it sounds like those that posted in here with this info previously were correct. But at least I know what to look for now. I snagged a decent one off auction which is very similar.

Reactions: KafkaStoleMyBike