PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
A pulmonary doc once said to me, “Mr. Grangerous, you have asthma.” I said, “I don’t have asthma Doc, I’ll need a second opinion!” He fixed his gaze upon me and said, “Okaaay... you have asthma.”

To this day I don’t believe him as I long ago tossed away those inhalers.

But back then, I clenched. The enjoyment for me came from the side-stream. As I’d clench, I’d enjoy the smoke emanating from the bowl or as it escaped my lips. My pipe would appear “unlit” to any observer. I clenched while driving or sitting in the veranda or fishing, hunting or reading, generating very little visible smoke, and yet, I was breathing in a great deal of smoke.

Well, I’ve stopped clenching and now a daily pipe seldom triggers me. Usually a musty drawer, old book or damp basement is the culprit.

Today, I hold pipe in hand and will only clench momentarily if I need the use of both hands, being very careful not to inhale. I’ve gotten quite proficient as my mild asthma rarely appears.

Outdoors, in the wind, no matter. I have mastered getting real flavor from my tobacco-without breathing the smoke. I let the tongue do its job as I slowly let it escape nose and mouth. Have you ever seen John Harden (Matches 860) clench? I can’t recall ever seeing him even retro and so find this topic of interest. I retro.

So... Clenchers, ye haters of the acrylic bit, let us hear from you.

Inhalers? Hopefully this is a small group. Let’s hear from you as well.

Tasters? If you are like Matches you are indeed blessed. He so loved tasting tobacco.

Some of my personal observations: For me, stem material has become irrelevant; my vulcanite or ebonite stems appear shiny and new. It has slowed my cadence, increased my enjoyment and I have found blends that always provide me with a really tasty smoke. Yes, Granger is one of these.

So, let this second chapter of THE GRANGER GAMES..... Begin!

SELECT ALL THAT APPLY

A.) Onlookers would think my car’s engine has overheated. Cheech and Chong would be proud, a real smoke generating machine.

B.) I clench my pipe while engaged in any activity. Reading, Writing, Walking or Working. Einstein and Mark Twain are smiling down upon me. If I couldn’t clench; I wouldn’t bother to smoke a pipe.

C.) I do both. I alternate freely and never really give this a thought. My Indian name would be Wind-in-Hair.

D.) I do not clench. It’s pipe in hand or sitting on workbench or table. I sip it, hold it or set it down. Relights don’t bother me. I’m a slow smoker.

E.) I dislike frivolous posts but rather than scroll by, I’m going to pour a bucket of literary ice water on everyone’s fun by leaving my personal objection to humor of any kind on this forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being sort of a one-channel hyper-focused guy, I only clench to light up and to carry the pipe to a new location. I don't find clenching for most of a smoke satisfying. But I think I'm more and more like myself and less and less like everyone else every day. That's what Flannery O'Connor's mother said about her.

B & Cish... I prefer to clench, as I do things with my hands as I smoke, like metalsmithing or reading or driving etc...
But, if I find that a blend is taxing my tongue with too much flavor, I may slow down even more, or set the pipe aside till I can use my hands. But, using my hands to hold the pipe isn't preferred for me. Just my preference.

I have seen more Instagram pics of folks billowing out huge Cheech and Chong clouds lately. I am never impressed with this. It's like those childish kiddie vapes. Blowing out huge smoke just looks like a waste of money to me, but to each their own.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Mostly D, with some C mixed in. I am clenching while typing this. I'll clench while busy with my hands in the car. But I typically will always remove the pipe and hold it when I puff. Not only is it more comfortable for me, but I also tend to get more taste out of my tobacco than when clench-puffing. I wonder if being a cigarette and cigar smoker first has something to do with what felt more natural for me as a beginner?

I'm a bit jealous of those who can clench through a whole smoke... Of course, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
B here and nothing else I have no issues smoking in public when permitted in addition
dam pipes are to expensive to leave on a bench. I believe the pipe is your true companion reason
being it never fails to deliver what we are looking for in a good smoke.