New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I picked up this Barling Magnum from 1910. While the condition isn't the best, it's still a nice addition to the pile. There are not exactly a lot of Barling Magnums floating around. Bowl height is 3" and length is 9". My 1883 Magnum will have a playmate.

I'll see what I have after I've given it a thorough going over and will probably send it to Georged for a bit of restoration.

Good show Jesse !
A big bastard and looks to be in decent shape, not ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Good show Jesse !
A big bastard and looks to be in decent shape, not ?
Out of round at the top. We'll need to see if there's damage to the walls. But even if there is, it can be dealt with. For what I spent, it's not an outrageous amount. The last time I saw one of these it was cased, in mint condition, and the owner wanted a good 4 figures for it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very nice Jesse.
Query: Do you download and bring out shadows on under exposed images such as this?

s-l1600.jpg
Sometimes I do just that. I didn't on this occasion. A Barling Magnum just doesn't come along very often, so I was going to make a low bid for it regardless. Because of the indifferent presentation, including not using the term "magnum", the pipe didn't attract much attention.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's another interesting one, a Comoy's made shop pipe of a coveted Comoy's shape (256). A very knowledgeable seller, so I guess the date estimate is correct. 24 bids, with last second heroics.

1610934408898.png

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Yes I won the pipe and didn't notice how badly and completely burnt out it is. I'm in the process of returning it. Nobody's fault I suppose: the seller isn't a smoker I think.
The pipe has quite a few defects, but if I had bought it primarily for a particular reason, e.g. because it still comes from Leeds (before the Lane takeover) I would negotiate with the seller. Maybe he would agree to a partial refund with reference to the damage.

Dec 10, 2013
Out of round at the top. We'll need to see if there's damage to the walls. But even if there is, it can be dealt with. For what I spent, it's not an outrageous amount. The last time I saw one of these it was cased, in mint condition, and the owner wanted a good 4 figures for it.
Not an outrageous amount is imho an understatement . I think of it as a steal , despite the somewhat out of round rim.
There are no signs of burned briar , the exterior looks to be in fine condition accommodated with its original stem.
How often does a magnum Barling's show up anyway ?
I now wonder why I missed this one ; could it depend on what browser we use ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not an outrageous amount is imho an understatement . I think of it as a steal , despite the somewhat out of round rim.
There are no signs of burned briar , the exterior looks to be in fine condition accommodated with its original stem.
How often does a magnum Barling's show up anyway ?
I now wonder why I missed this one ; could it depend on what browser we use ?
It could depend on what eBay sites the seller chooses to include. A number of UK sales don't show up on the US site, even though the sellers will ship to the US. Same thing goes for German sales.

The listing did nothing to point out what was special about this pipe. The photography was dark and made the pipe look bad. The seller didn't really know pipe terminology, so never used the word "magnum" to describe the pipe. Only the recorded measurements gave it away.

What could the seller have done differently? Taken better pictures for a start, pictures that don't make the object up for sale look as ugly as possible. Cleaned the pipe surfaces a little, enough to reveal the grain under the grime. Placed another pipe of normal size in the picture with this one. An egg? How many people are going to get a useful idea of scale from an egg? Written a better description including the word "Magnum" in the title. Studied up on what she was selling.

Bidding was lackluster. Frankly, I didn't expect to win the auction with such a low bid, but having just had some other expenses, had to make a token bid that just happened to work out. Were it not for the out of round top, this pipe should have fetched about $1400. Even with the out of round, $350 to $500. And it still may prove to be a dud. I won't know until it arrives.

How often does a Barling Magnum show up on eBay? In the past 15 years that I've followed every single Barling auction on the US site, exactly zero until this one showed up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nor does the text, Rodrigo is getting more sloppy by the week.
I do not mind one bit, as longs as he keeps selling good quality pipes. Which he always does and he is easy to deal with.
Barling's straight grain are relatively rare and this one looks to be in fine condition.
That straight grain is a higher end example and condition is quite good. Rodrigo cherrypicks the stuff he buys to sell, keeping the best and sells off the rest to other sellers.
The sloppiness looks to me like classic burn out. You no longer care at all about what you're doing, except to the extent you need to make a basic effort to keep things going for the income.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I offered this vendor $100 for this one, he said he turned down a $200 offer, went for $301. Eight Dot listed as a Four Dot, looks in decent condition.

View attachment 59547
That tapestry really tied the auction together, man...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some savvy Comoy's fan grabbed the middle pipe in this otherwise pedestrian trio. McCauley was a Comoy's 2nd and that 7256 is the famous Comoy's shape. I put in a $58 last second bid, but the winner put in his winning bid three hours earlier.

1611188934488.png

I have almost stopped buying pipes, but this one is a gap in my collection. I did put in a bid in the very last minute, competitive but low chance of winning. I did not even finish second: I finished third. Congratulations to the person who won.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A few surprises this Sunday, before the football games.

$220 for a Shamrock Peterson? No thanks.

1611517838691.png

I watched this one out of novelty, $440 for a table pipe? Betting Comoys didn't even make this one and they couldn't take the time to put a C on the stem.

1611517979884.png

This seems high as well, $380 for an Old Bruyere. Stem fitment isn't great, particularly at that price point. A very unusual shape 151 (guessing that drove the price, I find no web reference to this shape). Sadly, no or description of the COM.

1611518069553.png

Attachments

• 1611517942581.png
    1611517942581.png
    584.3 KB · Views: 1

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
A few surprises this Sunday, before the football games.

$220 for a Shamrock Peterson? No thanks.

View attachment 62052

I watched this one out of novelty, $440 for a table pipe? Betting Comoys didn't even make this one and they couldn't take the time to put a C on the stem.

View attachment 62054

This seems high as well, $380 for an Old Bruyere. Stem fitment isn't great, particularly at that price point. A very unusual shape 151 (guessing that drove the price, I find no web reference to this shape). Sadly, no or description of the COM.

View attachment 62055
Yup. high for that Peterson. But, do love me some chubby Rhodesians.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Yhea im not sure about 151as well. The fit is not good. I noticed that too. If you look at bidding history it jumped from like 80 to 350 then 1 bid at 380 took it. I guess someone had to have it.

Dec 10, 2013
I have almost stopped buying pipes, but this one is a gap in my collection. I did put in a bid in the very last minute, competitive but low chance of winning. I did not even finish second: I finished third. Congratulations to the person who won.
I watched the auction and contemplated bidding, but it ended beyond my reach.
Nice pipe though. Congrats to the winner; please step forward if you are a forum member :)