PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Didi is the marathon one-pipe smoker on Forums. Congratulations to Weez for supplying the pipe and a bit of inspiration. This is especially interesting because it is didi's first outing with a Meer. I think it should be the ideal pipe for one-pipe smoking. I'd keep the bowl extra clean, to sustain its ability to burn different blends with little or no carryover in taste. A paper towel wipe might do a more thorough job than just the pipe cleaner swipe. I'm not a newbie with a Meer, but somewhat new to them. The late great fish'n'banjo gifted me with a straight billiard estate Meer with grape vine etching on the bowl, my first Meer. I was impressed with what clarity it renders flavors. You will be able to shift between blends with little aftertaste, steering clear of Lakeland aromatics and such. I'm looking forward to reports on how this goes. I think everyone will learn more about Meers in the process. Bon voyage!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It's been slow going. But we're working on it
That’s the story of coloring a Meer. I tried using a coloring bowl but I didn’t like the weight forward aspect of it. The one this I have found that helps is after I smoke a bowl, unlike briars that I immediately dump and wipe, I leave the dottle in the bowl and don’t use a pipe cleaner immediately after the smoke. I wait until the pipe completely cools and then I do it.

Jun 23, 2019
Have you weighed it recently? Any significant/noticeable grams gained?

I've been smoking a meerschaum prince since June/July; just waxed it for the first time and the colors are really coming in nicely.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I smoke aromatics mostly in my meers and find that aromatics improve the coloring more then any other type of tobacco. Like @ashdigger I leave the dottle in the bowl until the meer cools down completely and then remove it. It really benefits the coloring process.

Reactions: mtwaller

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I haven't even thought of delaying the cleaning and leaving the dottle in, that makes so much sense.

I'll be tracking the weight and color of the meer my wife bought me for my birthday.

Reactions: lightmybriar

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
My IMP meer seems to have gone into slow motion mode as I've smoked probably 200 bowls in it since mid October alone, without much change in color. My pipe seems to be slowwwwly turning a golden color over the entire pipe at this point as opposed to a strong contrast on the shank and the bottom of bowl. At least that's how I perceive things. Some of you guys seem to be coloring at amazing rates such as @Jwebb90 and @chasingembers. I don't know, there are different factors involved I suppose, such as wall thickness etc.

The German guy, Bremen Pipe Smoker on youtube has a cool video where he shows a lot of meers and how each one colored at a different rate.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Apply some beeswax if you want to bring out the color. You can google the how to or come up with your own method. The results are astonishing.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
That’s the story of coloring a Meer. I tried using a coloring bowl but I didn’t like the weight forward aspect of it. The one this I have found that helps is after I smoke a bowl, unlike briars that I immediately dump and wipe, I leave the dottle in the bowl and don’t use a pipe cleaner immediately after the smoke. I wait until the pipe completely cools and then I do it.
Yup, same here, it really helps color your meers.

Reactions: ashdigger

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
My IMP meer seems to have gone into slow motion mode as I've smoked probably 200 bowls in it since mid October alone, without much change in color. My pipe seems to be slowwwwly turning a golden color over the entire pipe at this point as opposed to a strong contrast on the shank and the bottom of bowl. At least that's how I perceive things. Some of you guys seem to be coloring at amazing rates such as @Jwebb90 and @chasingembers. I don't know, there are different factors involved I suppose, such as wall thickness etc.

The German guy, Bremen Pipe Smoker on youtube has a cool video where he shows a lot of meers and how each one colored at a different rate.
altinay with about a hundred bowls, just keep smokin
713DA970-C7BC-4DEC-910E-625576E4F7B5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.