PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
From my last reply, I’m now starting to get more scents out of it as it drys. It was only pungent vinegar upon opening.

I’ll never forget the first tin of a non-aromatic that I opened - HH ODF. All I could smell was like vinegar-based BBQ sauce. I had no idea what in the world I’d gotten into and was positive I wasn’t going to enjoy it. To me, anyways, the flavor of the smoke was entirely different. Sweet, subtle, complex, and downright enjoyable. I’ve since added pounds of the stuff to my cellar.

It taught me a pretty valuable lesson of paying attention to and appreciating pipe tobacco from soup to nuts. I should have obviously learned the lesson with the aromatics, but just because something smells a certain way doesn’t mean its flavor will be anything close to smell.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ll never forget the first tin of a non-aromatic that I opened - HH ODF. All I could smell was like vinegar-based BBQ sauce. I had no idea what in the world I’d gotten into and was positive I wasn’t going to enjoy it. To me, anyways, the flavor of the smoke was entirely different. Sweet, subtle, complex, and downright enjoyable. I’ve since added pounds of the stuff to my cellar.

It taught me a pretty valuable lesson of paying attention to and appreciating pipe tobacco from soup to nuts. I should have obviously learned the lesson with the aromatics, but just because something smells a certain way doesn’t mean its flavor will be anything close to smell.

I overlooked the mention of vinegar in some reviews, so it threw me when I opened the tin.

Oh yes, smells certainly don’t always equal the same sort of tastes.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I overlooked the mention of vinegar in some reviews, so it threw me when I opened the tin.

Oh yes, smells certainly don’t always equal the same sort of tastes.

I must say, the vinegar/BBQ smell on Virginias always appeals to me, because I associate that smell with the dried fruit and complex woodsy tastes I get from it. The taste smell mismatch in tobacco smoke becomes less of a factor over time, as your brain starts to make certain associations.....

VaPer nutcases love that smell!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
To taste the flavors in this tobacco, you need patience. There's a lot of moisture in these flakes and the flavors don't come out to play until you dry the tobacco. I rubbed out the flakes and let them dry for about 3 1/2 hours until they were just shy of bone dry. Then you slow smoke the flake. If you can't be bothered, you're not going to taste the flavors in which case you might just as well sell the tins to someone else.

I actually let a bowl’s amount dry out for 4 days. I spoke to someone at a B&M that seemed very knowledgeable about the Cringle Flake and suggested this, so I thought why not. 5-7 lights on a new bowl of this, there was nothing but straight flavored Virginia, nothing else, so I didn’t care for this, tossed it out.

Now I just thought to take some out of the tin, break it up and toss it straight away into the bowl. Now I get a little more of an oily Virginia flavor, with some tang, grass, citrus, bread, leather, but it’s very subtle, like mentioned need to really smoke slow.

I guess with the aged Tobacco this is very light Tobacco?

So maybe a few hours drying is the magic touch to get more robust flavors?

What hours of dry time is everyone doing? Please share...

The tobacco in my tin is also also a very deep dark brown.

Hmm

8337863B-3F28-4D2D-9D7F-3523C491124D.jpeg

Last edited:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
4 days is excessive.

I found a half an hour once my tin was rubbed out does the trick....airs it out a bit. Experiment to see what works for you...try different pipes...try shredding the hell out of it. This is a slow, enjoy the flavor smoke while normally I puff fairly fast.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I actually let a bowl’s amount dry out for 4 days. I spoke to someone at a B&M that seemed very knowledgeable about the Cringle Flake and suggested this, so I thought why not. 5-7 lights on a new bowl of this, there was nothing but straight flavored Virginia, nothing else, so I didn’t care for this, tossed it out.

Now I just thought to take some out of the tin, break it up and toss it straight away into the bowl. Now I get a little more of an oily Virginia flavor, with some tang, grass, citrus, bread, leather, but it’s very subtle, like mentioned need to really smoke slow.

I guess with the aged Tobacco this is very light Tobacco?

So maybe a few hours drying is the magic touch to get more robust flavors?

What hours of dry time is everyone doing? Please share...

The tobacco in my tin is also also a very deep dark brown.

Hmm

View attachment 54736
It's not about the hours, it's about the moisture content. Whoever suggested that you dry it until it's mummy dust didn't know fuck all about tobacco. I ended up drying it for about 3 1/2 hours because it had the right feel when I pinched it. Might have been some other length of time on a different day.
Generally I find that Virginias offer me their best flavors when they're just shy of bone dry. That's dry to the touch when squeezed, no sense of moisture rising to the surface of the tobacco against my skin, but still pliant. That's the zone for me. Others use a hydrometer to measure moisture content, looking for a moisture content of around 10 to 15%. Dry it to death and flavors are lost.
Dark red is an appropriate color for an aged red Virginia. This one has had 10 years, which is pretty damned prime. Matured Reds have a different flavor profile than other Virginias, a funky rotten tomato sweetness and pungeant tanginess that sounds terrible and tastes wonderful. But matured reds aren't for everyone.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It's not about the hours, it's about the moisture content.

Yes moisture I agree, is what it’s about.

Even after 4 days, it was not bone dry, or crispy.

I’ve had Flake moister than this Cringle, it seems like it might be a little on the drier side of a Flake, but still some moisture, so I don’t think I need to let this dry out, but if any probably only an hour.

The pinch that I decided to smoke straight from the tin, smokes quite nice, so I’m happy with it straight from the tin.

To me the smoke and flavors are light and smooth, not a bite to be found, with a very light after taste in the mouth which is quite pleasant.

Thanks

P.S. Smoked out of my MM Morgan Natural Cob with a Forever Stem.

01CCAE42-2C5A-40CB-9225-BEC61F1061E2.jpeg

Last edited:

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Very interesting that P&C had this back in stock and congrats to those that got some.

I made an order for 8 tins on 11/20/2020 and then decided I wanted more and made another order for 5 tins on 11/21/2020. They filled my order for 5 tins and were showing my 8 tins order as pending for weeks. I just checked and now the 8 tin order is shown as cancelled.

I did order from other REAL companies so I do have some extra but not what I wanted. So dear P&C, thank you for screwing me and so you know, I will never purchase a single thing from you ever again, PERIOD!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Back in stock right now at P&C

P&C = Lucy....

iu

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I called Telford’s Pipe & Cigar In California, they told me they have Cringle Flake 2020 in stock, but it was going to cost me $15 to ship 1 Tin. I didn’t consider buying more to offset the cost of shipping.

If they still have it, and your score it, please sell me a tin. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.