PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunriseboy

I really like Escudo. Except these new tins are terrible. They taste nothing like the last lot I had.
Incredibly disappointing!
Anyone else had any of the new lot?

Reactions: jvnshr
S

sunriseboy

There's no date on the tin. But let me tell ya, it is the last time I'll by this dreadful weed!

Reactions: sablebrush52

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I haven't bought any of the STG Escudo since 2015. It wasn't good then, and it doesn't get better with age. I have a few tins left that I'll smoke, but that's it. No mas. Escudo is dead.
Have you noticed a change (or even tried) recent Peterson DNR? I ask because my understanding is that they are manufactured by the same entity and include a lot of similar tobaccos in the blend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Have you noticed a change (or even tried) recent Peterson DNR? I ask because my understanding is that they are manufactured by the same entity and include a lot of similar tobaccos in the blend.
I didn't smoke the STG "Dunhill" Navy Rolls and haven't tried the "Peterson" reboot so I can't help you.

To be frank, I'm not a fan of STG produced pipe tobacco products. I don't think their stuff is bad, I just find most of what I've tried kind of mediocre. I've been made aware that there was a swap out of tobaccos used for STG Escudo several years ago. The good news for impatient types is that there's no point to aging STG Escudo. It doesn't develop in any meaningful way.

Buy yourself some PS - LBF and stick it away for 4 years. It goes from tobacco masquerading as cardboard to a very flavorful blend. Forget about Escudo. Or, pop $120 for a tin of the old stuff and find out what the magic really was all about. Then wonder if that was worth the $120.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have tins from 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018. I stopped buying in 2018 due to the garbage they started putting out. I am fine smoking the tins before 2017. After that they ruined it. Was a top 5 smoke for me prior to whatever they did to save a few pennies.

godfather.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The Escudo that I have been smoking has all been from 2008 and still have a few tins left of it. I find it very tasty and have enjoyed every tin. I have no idea who made it and really don't care . The rest of my stash was all bought in 2012. I have no idea who made it, but I am not too worried.
I don't know what year that tin was, could have been 2010,2011 all I know it was bought in 2012 when there was a big sale on it. Does anyone remember when they had that big sale and people went nuts loading up on Escudo and it pretty much ran out. My oldest tin of Escudo is from 2001 when they had the AC Peterson tag on it. I don't remember who made that either. I have been smoking Escudo since around 1999 or so and have enjoyed every tin I have smoked, never had a bad one.

Does anyone remember when there was a big sale on Escudo and everyone went nuts for it and it actually ran out of stock for a short time. I am pretty sure that was 2012 as I have a bunch of tins hand written with the 2012 date. I have no idea what the date really is as I found it strange a big seller like that would have the kind of sale it did.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
S

sunriseboy

Well, it seems to me the characters at STG are as dumb as a box of rocks. The stuff has gone from very ordinary to trash.
I mean...I really don't get that?!
And yes, I'll see if I can scrounge some Solani 633. I gave that a crack a while back and it was half decent.

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
I just opened a tin from 2014 and it's better than fresh Escudo. Hopefully all the 2014 tins are like this because I loaded up.

Status
Not open for further replies.