PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
It's only DEC 4th and there's already 20 pages of this thread for me to catch up on??! That's wild! Seeing a lot of new names and faces and pipes lately, how jovial.

Starting off December right with some Dunhill's ('14) Elizabethan Mix in this gorgeous Tsuge by maestro Fukuda I'm struggling to classify the shape - looks like a lionfish to me though.

03Nvgwah.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, big filet mignon, mushrooms and green beans dinner with strawberries and cherries for dessert. Now smoking KBV Festivus GT beta test in a 1986 three quarter bend Bacchus face CAO meer with a dark tortoise shell colored tapered acrylic stem. Ice water and berg is my drink on this cold, rainy evening.

Apr 26, 2020
Northern California
Finally breaking into my tin of Samarra 20th anniversary blend. The only other oriental forward blends I've tried were the McClelland grand oriental series, and this seems right on par in terms of quality.

The retrohale is where this one really shines. I get a spicy incense note that is pretty unique. Great stuff, glad I picked up a few tins.

Solid nic hit too, I gotta slow down my puffing!
smoking my first bowl right now. I ordered a few tins also. What a awesome smoke! Hope I can get more

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Smoking some C&D Big N Burley in a Sibiryatkin. Drinking some tea. Relaxing after a long day out in the bush yesterday hunting for red deer. Nice day out. Saw lots of Kaka feeding on the spring growth. It a native parrot we have here in NZ. Saw one deer and it’s still there ?.
image.jpg
2FD1C206-731F-4B90-84AE-05E825B59471.jpeg

Apr 26, 2020
Northern California
To misquote Monty Python "And now for something a bit different".
There was a time when the enormous choices of today in the area of different pipe shapes, what pipes are made of and bowl sizes was limited to just one shape and one material - clay.

The smaller than usual bowl size and thinner than usual shank and stem of the pipe I posted above - compared to most other briars I've seen of that period - makes me thing of a pipe more suited for a woman but compared to early clay pipes it's a big bowl.

In the time of James I (1566-1625) tobacco was brutally expensive. He's the one that initiated probably the first 'tax for health reasons' and raised tobacco tax 40-fold from 2 to 82 pence per pound, making tobacco more expensive than silver with the result that the bowls were really small compared to even fifty years later.

Below are two examples of excavated clays from that period - one without a maker's initials or trademark (not unusual for that period when less than 10% of pipes were stamped with either) - and the other with a maker's mark:-
1) Circa 1600-1610 - a previous owner in the middle of the 19th cent. has thoughtfully had the clay mounted with a horn stem.
2) Circa 1580-1590 - Incuse W.B (William Batchelor 1580-1620 / 1619-1635) on the underside of the heel.
View attachment 54024
Love the history lesson, interesting

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
It's only DEC 4th and there's already 20 pages of this thread for me to catch up on??! That's wild! Seeing a lot of new names and faces and pipes lately, how jovial.

Starting off December right with some Dunhill's ('14) Elizabethan Mix in this gorgeous Tsuge by maestro Fukuda I'm struggling to classify the shape - looks like a lionfish to me though.

03Nvgwah.jpg
Krike, the plateau bottom is so cool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.