PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Hey Everyone,
If you read BarrelProof's post about hugging your children, you now that his little girl's best friend was murdered along with the girl's mother and brother. This is so tragic at anytime, but during a pandemic and right before Christmas...this is horrible. Children all over are struggling with not going to school, not playing with their friends, losing loved ones...you know what I'm saying.

I contacted BarrelProof (Boomer) because I want to send his daughter a Christmas card to show her that people in this world are not all evil. People do care and just to show her some love and support through this difficult time.

I think it would be awesome if we as group could all send her Christmas cards. Let's show Emma that we care and try to brighten her Christmas.

If any one wants to send Emma a card please PM me for their address.

Please take the time to send her a Christmas card.

Thanks everyone, we can do this.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Thanks, Scott.

Those who know me would argue that I'm never without words. That said, nearly all of the occasions in recent history that have rendered me speechless have been the result of the overwhelming kindness that is regularly displayed on this forum.

I'm sure Emma will really enjoy this and it will help to drive home the point that we tried to make with her last night - although there are bad people in this world, they are outnumbered, exponentially, by good ones.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just stamped my card that has a kitten on the front. I hope it doesn't prompt any requests for additional pets, but I did tell a couple cat stories about our two rescues in a note. I hope our various cards cheer up Emma's holiday.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I went to the post office earlier today and mailed Emma a bubble envelope with a little gift and a card. The lady behind the counter says "This is going to Alaska? Let's hope it makes it there before Christmas". I thought to myself Really lady. Just do your job and take my package.

Reactions: BarrelProof

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
This is awesome. Great idea. I’m sure Emma will appreciate it.

That family were the tenants and friends of one of our employees. A heart breaking tragedy to say the least.

Reactions: BarrelProof

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
This is awesome. Great idea. I’m sure Emma will appreciate it.

That family were the tenants and friends of one of our employees. A heart breaking tragedy to say the least.

100%.

There’s an updated news article on the story and it amounts to the shooter being an 18 year old guy with absolutely no identifiable motive. Basically everyone died for no reason. It’s most definitely a mental health issue, which is a serious concern. He was locked up a week before this happened for an assault and had the anklet on and was on house arrest. Arrested without confrontation. Just a seriously messed up dude.

As I’ve shared with Scott in private messages since he came up with this idea, I’m absolutely floored by the response, humbled, eternally grateful, and overwhelmingly unsurprised. This is one of the best groups of people that I’ve ever been fortunate enough to become a part of. While it’s incredibly kind what you all are doing, and please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not shocked that it’s happening. This is par for the the course. When the opportunity arises to do great things, from what I’ve seen at least, you guys always outperform. It would be foolish of me to expect anything other than this level of support from a group as solid as this one.

I shared some very genuine appreciation with Scott and it’s only appropriate to put it out here, as well. Not only will Emma be excited to see these start rolling in, you guys have really helped my wife and I teach this lesson. When we initially broke the news to Emma, we were focusing on the fact that although evil people exist in this world, they are so far outnumbered by good people that it isn’t really worth discussing. It’s unimaginably impossible to quantify this to a nine-year-old girl, so having a tangible example of the exceedingly good people that are walking this earth is such a boon to this lesson, I can’t find the words to describe it. As I mentioned to Scott, this incredibly kind gesture gives my wife and I a sure enough example of the kindness of our fellow men. We aren’t just explaining a concept to our little girl, we have evidence to back it up.

As I’m sure most of you are parents, you can clearly understand how important this is for us at a time like this and I’ll hope, if even for a second, you’ll allow yourself to be remotely selfish and give yourself a much deserved pat on the back for what you’re doing. You all truly represent the finer portion of society and should be commended accordingly.

Although it has no value, I extend to each of you my most heartfelt expression of gratitude. You have helped a man in a time of serious need. My children are my world and this has been the single most difficult thing we’ve faced together. What you guys have done will make this challenge slightly easier to overcome, and I am genuinely unable to articulate the level of gratitude that my wife and I have for the support you guys are showing to perfect strangers.

I wish you all a happy holiday season and may your bowls burn flavorful, without relight, to a white, ashy nothingness.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What you guys have done will make this challenge slightly easier to overcome

If we could bring a smile to your daughters face for even the briefest of moments, that is all that matters.

I think it says a lot about you too, sharing the story with us. Its hard enough being a parent in normal times under normal conditions, but something like this?

I hope your mailbox blows up like in the cartoons with cards pouring out of it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.