RIP Dave Prowse: Darth Vader Actor Dies Aged 85.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, Darth was a composite with Jame Earl Jones doing the voice. Nonetheless, the body language was Dave Prowse, along with the costume department. Darth was a theatrical one-of-a-kind. I always felt he was kind of absurd and slightly comical ... along with fearsome. For fully developed brilliantly realized villains, Hitchcock had the touch, in casting and directing.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I always felt he was kind of absurd and slightly comical. "

Tom, it is for that reason that I have always found it difficult to watch modern scfi films. There is so little credibility in so many of the characters.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Darth was a theatrical one-of-a-kind. I always felt he was kind of absurd and slightly comical ... along with fearsome.
I suppose an adult watching Star Wars for the first time would come away with that opinion. Not just of Darth Vader, but probably the whole film. But as a kid, seeing the spectacle of the original Star Wars films for the first time, Darth Vader pretty much seemed to be the epitome of villainy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Met him once here in town as a promotion for a new comic shop that opened in the '90s. Not the nicest person I've met by any means but RIP nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.