Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I have about given up buying tins. Between Country Squire, LJP and Watch City l don't see much reason to pay 5 to 7 dollars an ounce for tobacco that at times is not as good as what these in house blenders are offering.

I saw @chasingembers post something the other day about avoiding tobacco blends that are more than $5/ounce. It really got me thinking about that. Most of my favorites are bulk, have bulk offerings, or at least an option to purchase in a quantity that lowers the price below that threshold. I don't necessarily regret buying the tins that I have in my cellar, but I wish I had taken to buying bulk and dividing it up into 2oz increments in jars sooner.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Ray

You should check with them next time on using UPS Express methods, there are several, some considered Saver Rates, and you should be able to get that shipped in only a weeks time at the most.

P.S. For a guy willing to wait that long for some baccy, I am certainly going to order an ounce of that to sample... LOL

WOW, I’m smiling in Hawaii... :)

Reactions: gamzultovah

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I saw @chasingembers post something the other day about avoiding tobacco blends that are more than $5/ounce. It really got me thinking about that. Most of my favorites are bulk, have bulk offerings, or at least an option to purchase in a quantity that lowers the price below that threshold. I don't necessarily regret buying the tins that I have in my cellar, but I wish I had taken to buying bulk and dividing it up into 2oz increments in jars sooner.

I thought through this a while back with Pease blends I wanted to stock up on. I figured that buying 1 lb bulk that comes in a large tin vs buying 8, 2oz tins and then putting them into 8oz mason jars would save me about $4-$5 when factoring in cost of jars.

Basically it was about $1 more expensive per 2oz to buy them in tins. For me it was worth it so I mainly bout 2oz tins.

The math would probably be more in favor of bulk purchasing if you use blends that come loose bulk.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I thought through this a while back with Pease blends I wanted to stock up on. I figured that buying 1 lb bulk that comes in a large tin vs buying 8, 2oz tins and then putting them into 8oz mason jars would save me about $4-$5 when factoring in cost of jars.

Basically it was about $1 more expensive per 2oz to buy them in tins. For me it was worth it so I mainly bout 2oz tins.

The math would probably be more in favor of bulk purchasing if you use blends that come loose bulk.

Interesting, I forget about the cost of the jars. This is a good thought.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

my problem with tins is just how fast they disappear. I buy them because either that's what's available or to see if I want to get it in bulk. Sadly some of my favorites don't do bulk.

Reactions: Elric
Status
Not open for further replies.