PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Chicago is considering a 'package delivery tax'. All packages delivered to your door under 50# would have a $1.25 delivery tax. The tax would be $2.50 for packages over 50#. It is up to the seller to pay the City of Chicago the tax.

Is this happening anywhere else...perhaps where you live? Any thoughts on this?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Wow. Not happening here. How exactly are they going to track this? Sure, the USPS could put an automatic flag on every trackable parcel and forward to the city of Chicago, but how are they going to track DHL, Amazon, UPS and FedEx? Or is this something that all carriers will have to incorporate into their fee and then remit on behalf of the purchaser (similar to sales tax)? What happens when a package is sent without tracking? This seems like a council member's pipe dream and difficult to enforce.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Isn't the USPS federal, and therefore state and local governments are unable to legally interfere with its operation? Just an observation but one I'd heard before regarding interstate seizures.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Wow. Not happening here. How exactly are they going to track this? Sure, the USPS could put an automatic flag on every trackable parcel and forward to the city of Chicago, but how are they going to track DHL, Amazon, UPS and FedEx? Or is this something that all carriers will have to incorporate into their fee and then remit on behalf of the purchaser (similar to sales tax)? It seems difficult to enforce.
Not sure how they'll do it. When it comes to collecting more taxes...they'll figure it out.

Anyone interested can Google Chicago Package Delivery Tax.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Not sure how they'll do it. When it comes to collecting more taxes...they'll figure it out.

Anyone interested can Google Chicago Package Delivery Tax.
Not sure I agree with that. Look at out of state internet sales. The buyer is supposed to keep track, somehow calculate sales tax and then remit at the appropriate time to the appropriate agency. When they realized how difficult it would be in having the states simply communicate with each other, they simply decided (for now) to have internet retailers collect tax for in-state purchases and the rest be damned.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Not sure I agree with that. Look at out of state internet sales. The buyer is supposed to keep track, somehow calculate sales tax and then remit at the appropriate time to the appropriate agency. When they realized how difficult it would be in having the states simply communicate with each other, they simply decided (for now) to have internet retailers collect tax for in-state purchases and the rest be damned.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
To avoid a collections nightmare, the ordinance states: “It shall be the duty of each seller of tangible personal property sold at retail and delivered to a location within the city by ground delivery service to collect the tax.” Sellers that fail to “collect and remit the tax…shall be liable to the city for the amount” left uncollected.

Reactions: pantsBoots

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I'm having a hard time imagining what financial burden package delivery puts on a municipality that we haven't already paid for many times over. We got taxed for the roads and the delivery company got taxed for the same roads. The buyer got taxed for the purchase. What ever managerial costs the city experiences are already paid for by our property taxes. Whatever local revenue is lost to an extra-municipal transaction is lost because local vendors aren't meeting the desires of their customers (i.e. bad business). In that vein, such "lost revenues" never belonged to the city in the first place.

This seems hard to justify in any light other than the municipality screwed the pooch and wants citizens to pay for that.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
A Chicago alderman made a comment that because of all of the Covid online purchases and deliveries...there's more garbage/cardboard to pick up on trash day.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
From the Chicago Sun-Times
To avoid a collections nightmare, the ordinance states: “It shall be the duty of each seller of tangible personal property sold at retail and delivered to a location within the city by ground delivery service to collect the tax.” Sellers that fail to “collect and remit the tax…shall be liable to the city for the amount” left uncollected.
Gotcha. So this is deliveries that originate and terminate within the city. If Amazon sends Chicagoans (did you hear how I pronounced the 'Ch'?) goods from out of the city limits, all taxes are null and void.

Reactions: gerryp

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
d6d02b1533766a1c10d45a926305742f.gif

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
A Chicago alderman made a comment that because of all of the Covid online purchases and deliveries...there's more garbage/cardboard to pick up on trash day.

If I thought for one minute that a tax like that would give all our trash men a raise, I might not be as pissed. Our trash men are amazing.

I doubt this is the case in Chicago.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I'm having a hard time imagining what financial burden package delivery puts on a municipality that we haven't already paid for many times over. We got taxed for the roads and the delivery company got taxed for the same roads. The buyer got taxed for the purchase. What ever managerial costs the city experiences are already paid for by our property taxes. Whatever local revenue is lost to an extra-municipal transaction is lost because local vendors aren't meeting the desires of their customers (i.e. bad business). In that vein, such "lost revenues" never belonged to the city in the first place.

This seems hard to justify in any light other than the municipality screwed the pooch and wants citizens to pay for that.

Hey, they have palms to grease! That ain't cheap ya know...
?

Reactions: bent1

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
What if a resident returns the package to the shipper? Is the tax refundable? Are they taxed again for the pickup?

Reactions: pantsBoots
Status
Not open for further replies.