PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
my tins arrived today, but I think I'm going to leave them be for a while and will circle back around to them next year.
I have only cracked one of my tins from last year and now one from this year. IT is a great smoke, IMHO. But there are so many here that have a more refined palate than I do regarding Virginia's. This year Cringle Flake is a winner if the tin note is any indication and I trust Jim's recommendation that I will love this one. I wish I had the resources to buy 50 tins.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
If anyone had the 20th Anniversary Flake Dark from C&D the perique experience is similar here.I believe that was aged 18 years. You get a smooth perique taste without the pepper....if that makes sense. Its an interesting twist. The retrohale is where I really notice the difference. Solid blends both of them IMO.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
If anyone had the 20th Anniversary Flake Dark from C&D the perique experience is similar here.I believe that was aged 18 years. You get a smooth perique taste without the pepper....if that makes sense. Its an interesting twist. The retrohale is where I really notice the difference. Solid blends both of them IMO.
That's what I was hoping for. I thought the Virginias in XX Flake Dark needed to age just a bit for that blend to really come alive, so it's nice to hear this is hitting those potentials.

Edit: my order just arrived, I'll be trying this tonight or tomorrow!

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Just out of curiosity, has anyone smoked it and not liked it? I smoked a bowl and was met with the top quarter of the bowl being a fight between sweet and spicy the middle was mostly Virginia saying hi and the end of the bowl was pretty uneventful. I am not giving a review on it since I only smoked it once but I was disappointed...

• Wow
Reactions: Papamique

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Just out of curiosity, has anyone smoked it and not liked it? I smoked a bowl and was met with the top quarter of the bowl being a fight between sweet and spicy the middle was mostly Virginia saying hi and the end of the bowl was pretty uneventful. I am not giving a review on it since I only smoked it once but I was disappointed...
I give every new blend some time, a few bowls, few different pipes etc..I will even switch the dog out in the room...

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
You are the first I’ve heard of so far but it is not too surprising given that everyone’s tastes are different. Some of the classic all time best tobacco blends on tobaccoreviews.com with an overall rating above 3.5 have 1 and 2 star reviews.

Reactions: milehighpiper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Do you like VaPers in general? I know I don't, so maybe it's the genre that eludes you like it does me.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
How did you have a bowl if earlier, before this post, you said you passed on it?

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Do you like VaPers in general? I know I don't, so maybe it's the genre that eludes you like it does me.
I like some vapers more than other but I definitely prefer English blends. I just tried Peterson’s Deluxe Navy Rolls for the first time and loved it! I think I fell for the hype and was disappointed when it was not perfect for me. Someone else said it a bit more eloquently a few posts back.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I got my package from Tobaccopipes.com today. Fast service and good packing.

I was a bit impatient, so I tried a bit straight from the tin, and even though the level of moisture masked the flavors, I could tell that this is using first rate matured Red Virginia. There's that ketchup tang and rotten tomato sweetness that matured aged Red has that no other Virginia leaf has. I put some out to dry for a few hours and the flavors just popped!
This almost brought tears to my eyes. With the closing of McClelland I thought that I would never see another new offering with that funky Red flavor profile. But this is older leaf, picked when hand picking was still happening, and of outstanding quality.
I'm not picking up much of the 17 year old Perique, but no matter, I can add from my own stash of it if I want more of a Perique presence. For me, this is easily the best Red Virginia release since McClelland closed up shop. It doesn't need a damned bit of aging, it's already aged. But a few years may meld the components.
Off to smoke another bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.