Peterson’s Explains The Black Bowl Coating!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It’s been a long time since I purchased a Peterson’s, but I made a purchase last month from SPC for a ‘Speciality Smooth Belgique Fishtail’.

When I received the pipe I noticed the bowl coating was very shiny with a coarse texture, it looked odd to say the least, like plastic.

After smoking a few bowls, I noticed it disappearing, and the bottom of the bowl getting gooey and sticky.

I took some 100 proof vodka and cleaned it all out, and I was much happier.

I contacted Peterson’s to find out about this coating.

They told me, that in all their pipes that have black bowls, this coating is a wax mixture of gum arabic, charcoal and water.

Happy Puffing! :)

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I never experienced a gooey sticky bowl from the coating in my Peterson pipes. A lot of pipes come w/the bowl coating. Savinelli/Rossi has been doing it for years. Nonetheless, I’m glad that you were able to remedy.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yes it was gooey sticky, I could literally take a paper towel after smoking, when it was warm, and rub some of it out of the bowl.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
If I ever go into the pipe making biz, I'm going to color the inside of my pipes' bowls with a black Sharpie. I'll telll everyone that it's a specially formulated coating, developed by Science, that allows the wood to breathe whie reducing the chance of a potentially deadly break-in disaster by 95.2%.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
If I ever go into the pipe making biz, I'm going to color the inside of my pipes' bowls with a black Sharpie. I'll telll everyone that it's a specially formulated coating, developed by Science, that allows the wood to breathe whie reducing the chance of a potentially deadly break-in disaster by 95.2%.

Better add a prop 65 warning to that, I am pretty sure that is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I rubbed the coating out in my new Peterson Smooth System. As someone has said, it is rubbery and gooey after smoking - I initially had no issue with it, it just wiped off so easily I figured I'd finish the job.

I have no preference either way, but am building up a harder coating of traditional deposit (I use the water flush method and clean every pipe after each use) that is coming in just fine.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not this year's coating, but last year's around time of POTY they had different coating. It was smoother and looked like some squeezed black toothpaste in the chamber. I think that coating might have rubbed off and soft. I remember wondering WTF that stuff was.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I bought a very nice 120 army which had a black coating which, as described, got gooey and sticky, and tobacco strands would fuse with it. I took care of with hot water and scrubbing and ever since the pipe's great.

It may have been the brand new bowl which got broken in in the process, but I felt that before cleaning out this crud the pipe was bitter/sour while it is fine now.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
I was wondering what was up with that stuff. After 1 smoke with my new Pete I wiped out the bowl with a paper towel and took the entire bottom bowl coating off. Kinda pointless for building up a cake if it wipes right out of the bowl that easily.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian