PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
As I just got back into pipes again a few months ago, I bought some Diamond matches, and thought this is a nice inexpensive way to light the pipe.

Well the wood would burn and the flame would get bigger, not ideally a way to control it very well, and I found it quite easy to burn/char the bowl rim.

I guess if you have an inexpensive pipe, that you don’t mind burning the bowl rim.

For me, matches it didn’t work out well, so I bought an IM Corona Ole Boy, easy to adjust the flame, and not burn the rim.

P.S. Matches, and sitting on the couch in the dark, late at night watching the Tube, and trying to light the pipe... Nope not working... LOL

“... burn/char the bowl rim.”? I’ve never experienced this with matches. Stop using the larger version, which might help you control the flame better ?
98D16961-3F8E-463E-A108-2F1BD4E16FC4.jpeg

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Is there a noticeable lighter fluid taste with zippos? Never tried one with a tobacco pipe pipe but I remember back in my weed smoking days there was always a noticeable taste with Zippos so they were frowned upon and avoided.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Is there a noticeable lighter fluid taste with zippos? Never tried one with a tobacco pipe pipe but I remember back in my weed smoking days there was always a noticeable taste with Zippos so they were frowned upon and avoided.
I don’t notice a taste but I’ve been using one for years so I may just not notice.

Reactions: SoddenJack

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

I get more of a smell than a taste. But I usually use a Zippo only when we have high winds, so both dissipate quickly.

Reactions: STP

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As I just got back into pipes again a few months ago, I bought some Diamond matches, and thought this is a nice inexpensive way to light the pipe.

Well the wood would burn and the flame would get bigger, not ideally a way to control it very well, and I found it quite easy to burn/char the bowl rim.

I guess if you have an inexpensive pipe, that you don’t mind burning the bowl rim.

For me, matches it didn’t work out well, so I bought an IM Corona Ole Boy, easy to adjust the flame, and not burn the rim.

P.S. Matches, and sitting on the couch in the dark, late at night watching the Tube, and trying to light the pipe... Nope not working... LOL
get some three star or other matches specifically made for smokers.

Mar 29, 2016
I'm an outdoor smoker and I use matches as much as weather permits then I switch to lighters. I do think that matches give more control overall and also it seems that high quality lighters are hard to find notwithstanding the price. A good match is always dependable as long as there's no wind.:)

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I'll probably get shot in the head for saying this, but I love my flicwick hemp wick lighter. Its just as easy to light as a pipe lighter once you're used to it, it doesn't blow out in the wind nearly as easily as regular pipe lighters, and it can do that while maintaining a small flame, which makes for a cooler flame that doesn't give you that singed taste. It is also much easier to light the bottom of bowls since you can poke it down in there. The only drawback I see is that you can't have built in pipe tools, though I bet I could rig something up. When I'm on my porch sitting I will often use a regular pipe lighter for the tools and simply to hear the cathartic click of the lighter.

Commence the firing squad.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
After a decade of practice, it's wooden matches all the way, indoors or out. I used to take a Thunderbird butane/Zippo with me for vacation, etc when I had to smoke outside. One year I forgot it and matches worked fine at the beach. So, now I just skip the lighter. After using matches for a while, you get pretty adept. (my summer patio smoking is all outdoors). Develop those match skill sets! I like the soft burn and smolder I get from a match.

Now,it's actually harder to FIND wooden strike-on-box matches than using them.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
After a decade of practice, it's wooden matches all the way, indoors or out. I used to take a Thunderbird butane/Zippo with me for vacation, etc when I had to smoke outside. One year I forgot it and matches worked fine at the beach. So, now I just skip the lighter. After using matches for a while, you get pretty adept. (my summer patio smoking is all outdoors). Develop those match skill sets! I like the soft burn and smolder I get from a match.

Last time I was getting a pack of smoke, I asked for a matchbook. The cashier looked at me like I was crazy. I remember when they used to give out matchbook with every pack of smokes.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA

I’m 50/50 using the hand cup technique outside w/matches, but if windy it’s usually a fail... ?