PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I lost interest in acquiring more pipes when I picked up a couple of estate Kirsten Ds with aftermarket Don Warren bowls. I can’t go back to normal pipes now, and am probably going to just box up the rest of my pipes.

Reactions: anotherbob

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Sorry about that. I was sure that I had a 1990, 2203 Shell Briar, but on closer inspection, it appears to be a 1998? Again, my apologies.
View attachment 52196
View attachment 52197
View attachment 52198
What's wrong with '1990' ? I thought one had to add 60 to the underlined number to get the year of production (because they start this kind of dating code in 1960). But I am in no way a Dunhill expert.

Regarding the thread title I must say, that in the early days it was a joy to break in a new pipe (for which money was saved) and notice how it tastes better and better by smoking it. Then many years later, I wondered why I need all these pipes 'cause I didn't (or couldn't) smoke them regularly. So I called myself a collector and a collection is never complete. It's a bit like collecting music albums but unfortunately one can not download pipes....

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
You sir, are incredibly generous. Your kindness means a lot. Thank you for the congratulatory words!
You are welcome. Show the pictures of the pipe to some of your more knowledgeable friends and let me know what they think. If it’s a 30 then it’s a 1990, if it’s a 38, then it’s a 1998. When I bought the pipe I was told that it was a 1990, but the man who sold it to me was 80 years old at the time, and my eyesight isn’t what it used to be, so... If it’s a 1990, then consider it yours. PM me with your findings.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
What's wrong with '1990' ? I thought one had to add 60 to the underlined number to get the year of production (because they start this kind of dating code in 1960). But I am in no way a Dunhill expert.

Regarding the thread title I must say, that in the early days it was a joy to break in a new pipe (for which money was saved) and notice how it tastes better and better by smoking it. Then many years later, I wondered why I need all these pipes 'cause I didn't (or couldn't) smoke them regularly. So I called myself a collector and a collection is never complete. It's a bit like collecting music albums but unfortunately one can not download pipes....
Nothing is wrong with a 1990 Dunhill (providing it is a 1990). I thought the stamping was 30, but on closer inspection, it appears to be 38 (which would make it a 1998, and not a birth year pipe for @americaman)

Reactions: Kottan

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I, too, am about there. Now, if I run across something super neat, super cheap, I'll nab it. But as far as pipes I specifically want? That number is down to two. I still want a German "regimental pipe," and I have a source when I'm ready (maybe for Christmas this year!) The other is a "college pipe" (my term), a very small bent apple with a square shank, metal band, and amber saddle stem. These were made in briar, but I'm hoping for meerschaum. Besides that, I have the specific pipes I want.

Oop, forgot one! Don't know the shape number off hand, but there's a Caminetto I'm after. Bought one on my trip to Hawaii circa 2012. A few years ago, it just... disappeared. As far as I know, it was on my shelf. I'm still after that shape. Has to be New Dear, not Business, and has to be the early type that says "Ascorti Radice." I'll likely not find this one within my price range, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.