PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I only stopped buying pipes for 6-12 mos. I just loved pipes. loved thinking about them, and especially loved looking at them and buying them. I didn't waste time examining a pipe without a price tag as considering whether I could afford it was integral to its evaluation.

But when I started I regarded pipes simply as tools to smoke and felt that tobacco was the point. So I bought quite a lot of it. But then I noticed that a lot of the older guys really loved pipes, and since they were older, they obviously must know better, must know more.

So I began studying pipes online, going from site to site to find what I liked and why I liked it, a lot of comparison and contrast.

I tried to understand all the ideas others had about pipes, and believe it or not it took 18 years to get an answer to a term that I came to think was a ghost in the wind, engineering. Only last week did I get an answer from Chris and Todd Bannard.

My ideas of the factors affecting the smoke are limited to:

1. impeccable drilling, especially at the chamber draft, that has been engineered to promote airflow; also within the stem.
2. comfortable stem. I was looking at some Italian pipes with stems that conformed to the shape rather than the shape adjusted to include a comfortable stem. I found the chunky, clunky bits horrid. To smoke then you would have to smoke the pipe exclusively hand-held.
3. stem flush with shank, although even if accomplished at POS, the fit of the mortise can change.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
No, I haven't. At this point I think I've seen three 1990 Dunhills. One of them was a Christmas pipe which was way overpriced, and the other two were weird shapes from what I remember. At the moment I have little to no desire to seek one out.

1990 here too. Congrats on becoming a father! I had to flip a bunch of guitars when we had our first.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
More words on the tenon/mortise junction. This is another area where more expertise than I have might be used for the best comment. What is clear is that this joint is important for the best airflow.

Tenons chamferred and not. I believe Ferndown tenons used to be chamferred but in the last years were not, my thought that Les Wood (his wife) didn't want to take the time to do this, not that there was any proof that this was unnecessary. On the face of it the smoke entering the tenon would obviously be helped by a conically shaped entrance.

I don't see the fit of the stem and shank influencing airflow, but it is important to the eye.

I've seen some mortises chamferred, as if the tenon is so done, so too should the mortise be, the air exiting the shank allowed to have a wider diameter for an instant before being directed to the smaller diameter of the stem by the chamferred tenon. This expansion/constriction to what total purpose I don't know. Airflow, surely, but why? how?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm a smoker not a collector. Have over 50 pipes and, as I want to be able to smoke my pipes with some degree of regularity, I need to cap the purchasing. So, have little desire to buy another 1 now. Will say, though, if I had the funds 1 more will no doubt sneak into the herd as there are a couple which attract me..

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I am 3 years in and about 35 pipes including some cobs and baskets. I have 10 or so I really enjoy and occasionally smoke the others. I have slowed acquisition and tried to ficus more on building a cellar. I want to smoke some aged stuff eventually.

However, I do love the art and form of pipes. I will continue to buy what I think are “better” pipes from here on in. I love my commissioned Dragon Briar. I think I’d like to add more of these type of pipes from artisans. J. Everett you’ve been on the list with Nuttens. When the time comes these will probably be next.

On the other hand, thus far, my absolute best smoking pipe is my estate Irwin’s(GBD 9489) saddle stem billiard. not sure how old it is but it’s fantastic. So, I may still look for seasoned Brit Wood too.... it’s called PAD for a reason!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been buying the last pipe I'll ever need or want for the last forty years. I think each of my 92 pipes fits that description. It's a neat trick, but if you can reach that point of realization, it is commendable indeed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To put it differently, it is a good place to know you have all the pipes and tobacco you need to enjoy them and feel no need to acquire more.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry about that. I was sure that I had a 1990, 2203 Shell Briar, but on closer inspection, it appears to be a 1998? Again, my apologies.

Hard to say from that photo, but perhaps someone with knowledge about Dunhill's markings at the time would know. Thanks for thinking about me, and I really appreciate it, but it would be hard to buy another pipe at this point.

1990 here too. Congrats on becoming a father! I had to flip a bunch of guitars when we had our first.

Awesome. I basically gave my acoustic to my brother, so the only guitar I have now is a Gibson Les Paul Premium Plus. It was my first guitar (after learning on my brother's cheap Ibanez).

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Hard to say from that photo, but perhaps someone with knowledge about Dunhill's markings at the time would know. Thanks for thinking about me, and I really appreciate it, but it would be hard to buy another pipe at this point.

Awesome. I basically gave my acoustic to my brother, so the only guitar I have now is a Gibson Les Paul Premium Plus. It was my first guitar (after learning on my brother's cheap Ibanez).
Buy??? I would give it to you as a gift! After all, you are a new father and that is cause for gift giving. Congratulations!

Reactions: americaman

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As long as you’re well. The stress of this nonsensical year has claimed many peoples state of mind, and I don’t want to see anymore people ‘checking out’. Glad to hear you’re doing well.
Other than getting a week off from work back in the Spring, 2020 really hasn't changed anything around here, just been extra busy. Did I miss anything?

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Other than getting a week off from work back in the Spring, 2020 really hasn't changed anything around here, just been extra busy. Did I miss anything?
If you live (or have friends or family who live) in New York, California, Seattle, Arizona, Pennsylvania or Florida (just to name a few) you would have seen or heard many stressful stories. I’m glad that where you live and work is not being effected by the year’s events.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you live (or have friends or family who live) in New York, California, Seattle, Arizona, Pennsylvania or Florida (just to name a few) you would have seen or heard many stressful stories. I’m glad that where you live and work is not being effected by the year’s events.
I've seen videos and heard commentary though just simple country life here. ?

At work right now, have the entire building to myself today.?

20201121_160601.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jwebb90
Status
Not open for further replies.