PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Within the last couple of weeks, I've missed out on two Watch City Releases (as many of you might have as well). As someone who has been smoking for maybe 18 months, it's had me rethink my acquisition of tobacco.

I have already acquired many tobaccos through purchases and the generosity of a forum member (here's looking at you, @musicman ), of a wide variety of types—VAs, Vapers, English/Balkan, etc. And what I'm learning is it is not always what I'm smoking that leads to maximum enjoyment, but how I'm smoking. That is, focusing on my technique, the flavors, altering my cadence to see how I can tease out the best of the tobacco, etc.

With that said, I've decided not to pursue more "unattainable" tobacco—it's not worth being let down. There are so many great tobaccos out there and my smoking enjoyment will not decrease one iota if I miss out another time. So, I will not be glued to my computer on Thursday, November 19th, to try and purchase the elusive Simply Red and Rhythm and Blues.

Of course, this is just my reflection and in no way do I mean to influence the actions of others.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Within the last couple of weeks, I've missed out on two Watch City Releases (as many of you might have as well). As someone who has been smoking for maybe 18 months, it's had me rethink my acquisition of tobacco.

I have already acquired many tobaccos through purchases and the generosity of a forum member (here's looking at you, @musicman ), of a wide variety of types—VAs, Vapers, English/Balkan, etc. And what I'm learning is it is not always what I'm smoking that leads to maximum enjoyment, but how I'm smoking. That is, focusing on my technique, the flavors, altering my cadence to see how I can tease out the best of the tobacco, etc.

With that said, I've decided not to pursue more "unattainable" tobacco—it's not worth being let down. There are so many great tobaccos out there and my smoking enjoyment will not decrease one iota if I miss out another time. So, I will not be glued to my computer on Thursday, November 19th, to try and purchase the elusive Simply Red and Rhythm and Blues.

Of course, this is just my reflection and in no way do I mean to influence the actions of others.
Much like you, I get enjoyment more from what’s available than what’s elusive (but I still have those elusive blends cellared). If you ever want to try R&B, SR or Rouxgaroux, let me know; I always have some hanging around.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I am happy that of the 110 or so blends I’ve tried in the last couple summers, there are many of them that would suffice if they were all I had.

And of those blends, most have been in production for decades. I guess it’s helpful to have a commoner’s plate.

I’ll leave the unobtainium to those who enjoy the chase.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm rather new myself to piping, but have been up and down this road many times with cigars. As with those, I've had some pipe tobacco that lived up to the hype machine, and others that did not. None were worth any extra stress. If I had to pick 5 or 10 blends to live on forever, none of them would be made of unobtainium (unless you consider Samuel Gawith's FVF, BBF and Golden Glow as such).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not sure you need to decide out declare on anything. You can simply decide to try to buy certain blends if it isn't too painful. If you miss, you miss. Not sure why this would cause any significant anxiety. I wanted Watch City Virginia Oriental that came out last week, I was driving to Florida the day it came out. I set an alarm for 10 am. It went off, I called WCC while driving and placed my order. Took a couple of minutes. It's not like I camped out in front of the Apple store in 30 degree weather to get the newest iPhone.

People that can't handle rejection to the point of not trying probably didn't get laid a lot in their younger days.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I find that the harder you grasp, the more elusive things become ...definitely agree with the sentiment of doubling down on what you like in regards to easily obtained blends. I do understand the frustration of just the 'unobtainable' factor, though.

I've only been smoking a pipe for ~2.5 years, but I am a nerd and watch the ebb and flow --things come back around, just keep an eye out...also, if you can, get out and visit B&M's. My local mall has a small tobacco store that has had 5 year old tins of C&D, Esoterica, 2-3 year old Orlik Golden Sliced ...all kinds of great, aged tobacco -it had just been sitting there practically collecting dust.

When I teach guitar, I try to impart the idea of 'the joy is in the journey' and all that happy shtick, but it holds true with pipe smoking or anything else.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I find that the harder you grasp, the more elusive things become ...definitely agree with the sentiment of doubling down on what you like in regards to easily obtained blends. I do understand the frustration of just the 'unobtainable' factor, though.

I've only been smoking a pipe for ~2.5 years, but I am a nerd and watch the ebb and flow --things come back around, just keep an eye out...also, if you can, get out and visit B&M's. My local mall has a small tobacco store that has had 5 year old tins of C&D, Esoterica, 2-3 year old Orlik Golden Sliced ...all kinds of great, aged tobacco -it had just been sitting there practically collecting dust.

When I teach guitar, I try to impart the idea of 'the joy is in the journey' and all that happy shtick, but it holds true with pipe smoking or anything else.
I definitely agree with all of this! My original post was a bit tongue in cheek in some ways, but honest in others. As I become a more proficient pipe smoker, I do enjoy the challenge of teasing out flavors from some of the more illusive VAs, VA/Ors and Vapers--it helps me feel that I'm on the right path. Plus, they are tasty.

Yesterday, after smoking a sample of Rougeroux, I smoked a bowl of Ahab's Comfort, Watch City's Latakia forward blend, and I almost had to laugh, it smoked so easily and effortlessly. That's progress!

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I definitely agree with all of this! My original post was a bit tongue in cheek in some ways, but honest in others. As I become a more proficient pipe smoker, I do enjoy the challenge of teasing out flavors from some of the more illusive VAs, VA/Ors and Vapers--it helps me feel that I'm on the right path. Plus, they are tasty.

Yesterday, after smoking a sample of Rougeroux, I smoked a bowl of Ahab's Comfort, Watch City's Latakia forward blend, and I almost had to laugh, it smoked so easily and effortlessly. That's progress!

Progress indeed, sounds delightful! I was bummed to have missed out on the recent Watch City Va/Oriental offering --I have not tried their blends (have meant to), that one had me excited! puffy

Reactions: BROBS

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
<<portion snipped...>>
People that can't handle rejection to the point of not trying probably didn't get laid a lot in their younger days.

Well, add to the 'can't handle rejection' strike the 2 extra strikes of being a band geek, because 1 strike just isn't enough, and that was my 3 strikes and out :oops:

@hairvise ... What did you think of Ahabs? I just got 4 oz and will be trying it over Thanksgiving.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
@hairvise ... What did you think of Ahabs? I just got 4 oz and will be trying it over Thanksgiving.

I enjoy Ahab's. I definitely wasn't looking for a Lat bomb that would obliterate my mouth, and this, surprisingly for the high Lat content, isn't it. There's a sweetness there that's worth "listening to". Folks have noted that it's not a blend whose flavors change through the life of the bowl, and I would have to concur with that (though I've only smoked it I think three times). I really wouldn't give it much dry time and would gently fill the bowl--you might end up getting bits and pieces of tobacco in your mouth if you pack it too hard. And you can always increase the pack as you smoke. It burns really slow as well.

All in all, it's a great blend when you want to, say, read a book, not have to pay too much attention to the smoke, yet still get lots of flavor.

I'll be curious to know what you think!

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Gents, just so I don't mess anyone up--if you reread my heartfelt OP, you will see that I mention that the release date is November 19th. In fact, it is November 18th--I was being a bit "cheeky" and I assumed that someone would catch my ruse!

Good luck to those looking to purchase those I'm sure delicious blends. I'll be camping out overnight in front of Ernie's door (hope he doesn't knock into my tent)!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a few years, starting out with pipes, it might be well to sample in smaller quantities. You may not continue to like a blend for a full half-pound. I'd stick with one or two ounces bulk, a tin, or a pouch. Hey, every one to their own way. Just a thought.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
For a few years, starting out with pipes, it might be well to sample in smaller quantities. You may not continue to like a blend for a full half-pound. I'd stick with one or two ounces bulk, a tin, or a pouch. Hey, every one to their own way. Just a thought.
I think that this is a very good point. I actually had sampled both 558 and Old Dominion before (4 oz. each) and really enjoyed them, plus I had a sample of Simply Red, so I felt that this was a no-brainer.

I do agree that folks should try small samples when beginning, but I would also have newcomers consider that your impressions of a blend when you are just starting out ("this Vaper doesn't taste like anything" I believe I had once said) may well change dramatically as your technique improves. So don't necessarily write off a blend that you didn't like when you started out.

Unless it's a goopy aromatic--then, just drop it!

Just kidding, folks.

Reactions: BROBS and Jwebb90

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I second this. Definitely happened to me when I started on my pipe smoking journey years ago. Some blends I thought I'd love forever, stocked up on them, and then ended up eventually giving away.

Reactions: BROBS

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Follow up--was able to purchase 1/2 lb each of Simply Read and Rhythm and Blues this morning (along with 558 and Old Dominion for good measure!).

Looking forward to trying these blends and hearing from others what their experiences are with them.
I've enjoyed all of the WCC blends I've tried. Ahabs Comfort is my favorite in their English selection and 558 is the best perique blend blend on the market in my opinion.

Reactions: hairvise
Status
Not open for further replies.