PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Considering aromatic smokers outnumber us 4-1 I'm not too worried about them.
The reason the McNiels gave for shutting down was correct as far as it goes but the deeper truth is they were getting older and didn't wish to sell to anyone. And the fact that their facility was sitting on top of some primo KC real estate.
Definitely this.

kcghost and I have known Mike and Mary for a long time. Getting good leaf without changing things that had been in place at McClelland for decades was the issue---not that it was literally unavailable---and both had reached retirement age. If younger, they would have taken it in stride.

Add to that physical demands (Mike had a long list of shop tasks he never trusted anyone else to do right, and never would delegate), and their shop's neighborhood having gone from light industrial to prime project land for re-development by a billionaire, and the time was right for them to kick back and enjoy the fruit of their labor.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I have so many questions.

What Danish tobaccos? I thought all the cheap bulk aromatics, like those 12oz bags of black cav, the Lane bulks, Brigham, captain black, etc were all American or Canadian.

How does aromatic tobacco reduce the supply of red VA? Shouldn't it increase its availability if nobody smokes it?

I can buy top shelf whole leaf Red VA, and a friend went to the auction where it was purchased, and I'm a nobody in the tobacco world. I think McClelland simply didn't agree with the cost/profit equation. There's plenty of quality red VA out there, and I blame management, not Denmark.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ever since I got here, I have heard forum members go on and on about how aromatic tobaccos all use high quality leaf... and, I've always wondered why? I mean, that is like taking the best cuts of aged prime rib just to turn it into meatloaf. It's pretty stupid to take high quality leaf and just soak the shit out of it in flavored goop. Sure, sure, all tobacco companies are morons dousing "quality" tobacco with shit to make it so no one can taste it... except chasingembers. puffy

Exactly. It's a lot more common to slop ketsup on a hamburger than it is a filet mignon.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
haha, I must be the exception. I tend to think that people that talk about penis size have a bit of penis envy themselves.

Interesting. Do you have any factual evidence to support that theory or have you spent a lot of time peeking in the bathroom while conducting a penis opinion interview? :) At my age, I'm well past caring about penis size.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Ever since I got here, I have heard forum members go on and on about how aromatic tobaccos all use high quality leaf... and, I've always wondered why? I mean, that is like taking the best cuts of aged prime rib just to turn it into meatloaf. It's pretty stupid to take high quality leaf and just soak the shit out of it in flavored goop. Sure, sure, all tobacco companies are morons dousing "quality" tobacco with shit to make it so no one can taste it... except chasingembers. puffy

My opinion:
I feel like that would be the best meatloaf you ever had. It's the same as using a quality liquor to make a mixed drink. My opinion is if you want a quality product, you start with quality ingredients. I can definitely taste a difference between Cult Blood Red Moon and Casey Jones Last Ride, yet they are supposed to be the same flavor profile. I believe the difference is not just the flavoring but the tobacco. There are many aro's that allow the tobacco flavor to come through, and you don't do that unless you have a quality tobacco to taste.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Interesting. Do you have any factual evidence to support that theory or have you spent a lot of time peeking in the bathroom while conducting a penis opinion interview? :) At my age, I'm well past caring about penis size.

I have always gone by user surveys personally... rotf and uh.. age don't matter anymore, they got pills for that.

Reactions: samuelgawith01

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

What Danish tobaccos? I thought all the cheap bulk aromatics, like those 12oz bags of black cav, the Lane bulks, Brigham, captain black, etc were all American or Canadian.

How does aromatic tobacco reduce the supply of red VA? Shouldn't it increase its availability if nobody smokes it?

I can buy top shelf whole leaf Red VA, and a friend went to the auction where it was purchased, and I'm a nobody in the tobacco world. I think McClelland simply didn't agree with the cost/profit equation. There's plenty of quality red VA out there, and I blame management, not Denmark.
Those are all Danish, Mac Baren or STG owned/produced.

I don't see the aromatic connection to red Virginia availability or quality though.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB

Those are all Danish, Mac Baren or STG owned/produced.

I don't see the aromatic connection to red Virginia availability or quality though.
Where are they made?

Reactions: BROBS
Sutliff and Lane was just carryover Germanic tobacco styles brought over by immigrants. American Tobacco is closer to what C&D gives us.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I said I did not want to put anyone on the spot, and that it is not about the hate but taste education. Per stated "no one should be compelled to justify their tastes," but this is precisely what we should do. I personally do not mind if someone asks me why I like what I like, so why is he protecting aro smokers this way? By stifling the conversation he keeps his share of the market.
When did Per write this article? He did start the Mac Baren HH line, which is advertised as having minimal casing and no top flavoring at all, in the late 2000s. So, he himself is competing against Mac Baren's aromatics.

For what it's worth, I quite like the Cube, which is to me a quintessential Danish aromatic, top shelf leaves and lots of fruity goop.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
On How @cosmicfolklore Will Destroy Everything We Hold Dear

Why buy tobacco when you can just grow it? It's the North American spirit and in our epigenetics to break ground and build up year by year the ability to sustain ourselves in all aspects of our lives. There is nothing more North American than growing your own tobacco, and @cosmicfolklore is its embodiment.

No one sells or produces enough pipe tobacco to have an effect on diddly squat. We are the absolute smallest market there is. However, reds are the mainstay of the cigarette industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.