PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BrewerZach

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2020
Shelby, North Carolina
Good on you for keeping it so simple.
Over the past thirty years I've never really seen it as more than just another way to enjoy tobacco.
Just seemed an awful lot to invest in a movie about pipe smoking to just "load it and go"... I'll have to agree that recently I've all but abandoned my hoarder ways and have learned to find enjoyment in around five total blends. I have shelves and shelves of the good stuff because it was the thrill of the hunt, and now I'm getting a divorce. Guess I'll be putting a lot up for sale soon haha. K.I.S.S. method forever

Reactions: Chasing Embers

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I was a bit disappointed by it to be honest. Sure it was great to have a documentary and it was well done but for as long as it took them to film it I thought it was going to be much more in depth. I would have liked to see them go much deeper in the tobacco side of things. I’m just being picky though they did a hell of a lot better job than I could have done and I bought it to support them. I’d rather have a documentary on pipe makers than no documentary at all. I just feel like it’s always about the pipe makers. It’s time to shine a light on the masters who blend us our amazing pipe tobaccos.

BrewerZach

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2020
Shelby, North Carolina
I was a bit disappointed by it to be honest. Sure it was great to have a documentary and it was well done but for as long as it took them to film it I thought it was going to be much more in depth. I would have liked to see them go much deeper in the tobacco side of things. I’m just being picky though they did a hell of a lot better job than I could have done and I bought it to support them. I’d rather have a documentary on pipe makers than no documentary at all. I just feel like it’s always about the pipe makers. It’s time to shine a light on the masters who blend us our amazing pipe tobaccos.
I mention to other pipers far more often than not that I have an astounding amount of mixtures for even a young collector and about four workhorses hahahaha

Reactions: hawky454

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Maybe it's because I waited anxiously for years for this documentary to finally come out, I think I donated to the cause even, but I was underwhelmed by it after finally watching it. It was still interesting definitely, but it doesn't help that I have no interest in artisan pipes. Not sure what I was hoping for, maybe more of a historical or general doc on pipe smoking and the staple brands around the world. Oh well, still neat there's a documentary at all on pipe smoking!

Reactions: BrewerZach
I am one of those people who sets outside awaiting the sunrise while building expectation, and then, I am always poorly disappointed in them. I always expect so much more when I am awaiting a sunrise to happen. I was also one of the original donators to the film, and I definitely cited my disappointment that they took way too long to release it.

But, when it was done, it definitely surpassed my expectations. The film quality which was their greatest expense was phenomenal. They definitely didn't skimp by giving us flat lifeless tape instead of deep rich film. Plus, the expense of travel to these places with a film crew. And, days upon days of editing. It's a very well made movie.

I mean, sure, I would rather it have been on tobacco also. It is where my interests lie these days. But, it's like being offered a ride in a Ferrari, and complaining that you weren't into cars, but would rather talk about racetracks... when you've got a Ferrari running and waiting on you.

And, of course we have our dependable counter-poster, who will always go against the grain. We can always count on... puffy

But, I think that if someone is really interested in the history of pipemaking outside of factory productions, briar, and most of what surrounds it, then this is a very artful production that would interest you. And, I would be surprised if someone who treasures books with people discussing pipes and the pipe world would be disappointed in this film. And, this comes from a guy who is regularly disappointed in the sunset.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Just seemed an awful lot to invest in a movie about pipe smoking to just "load it and go"... I'll have to agree that recently I've all but abandoned my hoarder ways and have learned to find enjoyment in around five total blends. I have shelves and shelves of the good stuff because it was the thrill of the hunt, and now I'm getting a divorce. Guess I'll be putting a lot up for sale soon haha. K.I.S.S. method forever
Don't do it!!! Sell the tobacco that is.

• Haha
Reactions: BrewerZach

BrewerZach

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2020
Shelby, North Carolina
I am one of those people who sets outside awaiting the sunrise while building expectation, and then, I am always poorly disappointed in them. I always expect so much more when I am awaiting a sunrise to happen. I was also one of the original donators to the film, and I definitely cited my disappointment that they took way too long to release it.

But, when it was done, it definitely surpassed my expectations. The film quality which was their greatest expense was phenomenal. They definitely didn't skimp by giving us flat lifeless tape instead of deep rich film. Plus, the expense of travel to these places with a film crew. And, days upon days of editing. It's a very well made movie.

I mean, sure, I would rather it have been on tobacco also. It is where my interests lie these days. But, it's like being offered a ride in a Ferrari, and complaining that you weren't into cars, but would rather talk about racetracks... when you've got a Ferrari running and waiting on you.

And, of course we have our dependable counter-poster, who will always go against the grain. We can always count on... puffy

But, I think that if someone is really interested in the history of pipemaking outside of factory productions, briar, and most of what surrounds it, then this is a very artful production that would interest you. And, I would be surprised if someone who treasures books with people discussing pipes and the pipe world would be disappointed in this film. And, this comes from a guy who is regularly disappointed in the sunset.
Well put!